Toledo Public Schools, Ohio
|Toledo Public Schools|
|Lucas County, Ohio|
|Superintendent:||Dr. Romules Durant|
|Number of schools:||51|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
|Board president:||Dr. Cecelia Adams|
- 1 About the district
- 2 Superintendent
- 3 School board
- 4 Budget
- 5 Teacher salaries
- 6 Schools in Toledo Public School District
- 7 Academic performance
- 8 Website evaluation
- 9 Contact information
- 10 See also
- 11 External links
- 12 References
About the district
In terms of graduation rate, average household income and poverty rate, Lucas County underperformed in these areas. The graduation rate was 87.3% compared to 87.8% statewide. The average household income was $41,949 compared to $48,071 in the entire state. The poverty rate was 19.5%, while the poverty rate for Ohio was 14.8%.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
The current superintendent of Toledo Public Schools is Dr. Romules Durant, who was appointed to the position in December 2013. Dr. Durant began working for Toledo Public Schools in 1999 as a classroom teacher, and eventually became an assistant principal, a principal and then assistant superintendent.
The Toledo Public School Board consists of five members who are elected at-large to four-year terms.
|Toledo School Board|
|Dr. Cecelia Adams||President||2015|
|Bob Vasquez||Vice President||2017|
School board elections
- See also: Toledo Public Schools elections (2013)
Members of the Toledo Public School Board are elected at-large to four-year terms on a staggered basis. Three seats were up for election on November 5, 2013 and two seats will be on the ballot on November 3, 2015.
The Toledo Public School District's budget is published on its website.
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
Teachers in Toledo Public Schools earn annual salaries based on years on the job as well as educational achievement. The salary schedule accounts for graduate degrees by providing higher starting salaries and greater potential salaries. The following table details the salary schedule for the 2012-2013 school year:
|Degree level||Minimum salary ($)||Maximum salary ($)|
|B.A. + 15||34,851||59,872|
|MA + 15||36,478||65,104|
|MA + 60||38,774||67,503|
Schools in Toledo Public School District
Toledo Public School District serves 23,601 students. South-Western City School District does not publicly archive enrollment data.
Toledo Public School District operates 51 schools listed below in alphabetical order:
|Toledo Public Schools|
|Arlington Elementary School|
|Beverly Elementary School|
|Birmingham Elemenary School|
|Bowsher High School|
|Burroughs Elementary School|
|Chase STEM Academy|
|DeVeaux Elementary School|
|East Broadway Elementary School|
|Edgewater Elementary School|
|Ella P. Stewart Academy for Girls|
|Elmhurst Elementary School|
|Garfield Elementary School|
|Glendale-Feilbach Elementary School|
|Glenwood Elementary School|
|Grove Patterson Academy|
|Harvard Elementary School|
|Hawkins Elementary School|
|Keyser Elementary School|
|Larchmont Elementary School|
|Leverette Elementary School|
|Longfellow Elementary School|
|Marshall Elementary School|
|Martin Luther King, Jr. Academy for Boys|
|McKinley Elementary School|
|McTigue Elementary School|
|Navarre Elementary School|
|Oakdale Elementary School|
|Old Orchard Elementary School|
|Old West End Academy|
|Ottawa River Elementary School|
|Raymer Elementary School|
|Reynolds Elementary School|
|Riverside Elementary School|
|Robinson Elementary School|
|Rogers High School|
|Rosa Parks Elementary School|
|Samuel M. Jones at Gunckel Park Elementary School|
|Scott High School|
|Sherman Elementary School|
|Spring Elementary School|
|Start High School|
|Toledo Early College High School|
|Toledo Technology Academy|
|Waite High School|
|Walbridge Elementary School|
|Whittier Elementary School|
|Woodward High School|
The Ohio Department of Education issues an annual report card for each district based on scores from the Ohio Achievement Assessments. This testing process assesses the proficiency of students in grades 3 through 8 in reading and mathematics. Students in grades 10 and 11 complete the Ohio Graduation Test to not only assess proficiency but also demonstrate readiness for postgraduate life.
Toledo Public Schools received a D on the state's Performance Index and an F in the Indicators Met section. The Ohio Department of Education found that 80.1% of students qualified as Proficient or higher. The district met proficiency levels in 75.0% of performance indicators from grades 3 through 11. The following tables detail results from the Performance Index and Indicators Met sections in the 2012-2013 district report card.
|Performance Index, 2012-2013|
|Performance level||Percentage of students (%)|
|Transparency grading process|
This website was most recently reviewed March 6, 2013.
- Elected Officials
- Contact information for board members is published.
- The budget is published.
- Annual financial audits are published.
- Audits are archived to 2007.
- *School District Report Card and Performance Index are published.
- Taxes are published.
- Background Checks
- Background information is published.
- Public Records
- Information on how to file a public records request is posted.
- Awarded bids are not posted.
- Current budget is not posted.
- Budgets are not archived for at least three years in downloadable format.
- Site does not have a search function.
- School board elections portal
- Toledo Public Schools elections (2013)
- Ohio school districts
- List of school districts in Ohio
- Toledo Public Schools, "Expenditures," accessed December 11, 2013
- U.S. Census, "Quick Facts: Lucas County," accessed October 21, 2013
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- Lucas County Board of Elections, "Historic Election Results," accessed October 21, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Toledo Public Schools, "Superintendent," accessed January 14, 2014
- Toledo Public Schools, "Board of Education," accessed January 14, 2014
- Toledo Public Schools, "Salary Schedule for Teachers," accessed January 14, 2014
- Toledo Public Schools, "Schools," accessed January 14, 2014
- Ohio Department of Education, "FAQs," accessed January 10, 2014
- Ohio Department of Education, "Ohio Graduation Test," accessed January 10, 2014
- Ohio Department of Education, "2012-2013 Report Card for Toledo Public Schools," accessed January 14, 2014
- Board members
- Meetings and Agenda
- Board policies
- Board minutes
- contract 2008 to 2010.pdf Teacher union contracts
- Administrative contracts
- Report cards
- Tax base
- Professional conduct
- Public records