Toledo Public Schools elections (2013)
Method of election
What was at stake?
Toledo Public Schools
Lucas County, Ohio ballot measures
Local ballot measures, Ohio
Three seats on the Toledo School Board were up for election on November 5, 2013. Incumbent Bob Vasquez and candidates Polly Taylor-Gerken and Chris Varwig defeated challengers Darryl Fingers, Aji Green, Tina Henold, Perry Lefevre and Randall Parker III for the three at-large seats.
About the district
- See also: Toledo Public Schools, Ohio
In terms of graduation rate, average household income and poverty rate, Lucas County underperformed in these areas. The graduation rate was 87.3% compared to 87.8% statewide. The average household income was $41,949 compared to $48,071 in the entire state. The poverty rate was 19.5%, while the poverty rate for Ohio was 14.8%.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages, although rounding by the Census Bureau may make the total one or two tenths off from being exactly 100 percent.
Method of board member selection
The Toledo School Board is composed of five members that are elected at-large. There was no primary election on September 10, 2013 and the general election was held on November 5, 2013. Three seats on the board were up for election in 2013 and two seats will be on the ballot on November 3, 2015.
Candidates for the Toledo School Board must be 18 years old, a resident of the district and not hold Public office concurrent to board service.
Eight candidates declared their intentions to run for three at-large seats on the Toledo School Board. Only one incumbent filed for re-election.
|Toledo Public Schools, At-large General Election, 4-year term, 2013|
|Nonpartisan||Bob Vasquez Incumbent||19.3%||16,715|
|Nonpartisan||Randall Parker III||10.8%||9,333|
|Source: Lucas County of Ohio, "Election Summary Report for General Election in Lucas County, Ohio," accessed December 13, 2013|
The Lucas County Democratic Party endorsed Perry Lefevre, Randall Parker III and Polly Taylor-Gerken. Although incumbent Bob Vasquez was endorsed by the Party in 2009, he was not endorsed for this election, stating they had issues with his decision-making processes while on the board. The teachers' union endorsed Lefevre also, as well as Chris Varwig. The Lucas County Republican Party endorsed Darryl Fingers and Tina Henold.
|Randall Parker III||$300.00|
What was at stake?
Three at-large seats were up for election on November 5, 2013. Only one of the three incumbents filed for re-election. Voters also decided in favor of a $6.5 million levy for the district.
The following dates were key deadlines for the Toledo Board of Education elections in 2013:
|August 7, 2013||Last day to file nominating petitions for local nonpartisan races|
|October 24, 2013||Filing deadline for pre-election expense reports|
|November 5, 2013||Election day|
|November 26, 2013||Certification of election results by county officials|
|December 13, 2013||Filing deadline for post-election expense reports|
Additional elections on the ballot
On November 5, voters also decided in favor of a 6.5 mill renewal levy for TPS which will generate $13.3 million a year for the next five years. The board voted on June 25, 2013 to put the measure on the ballot.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Toledo + Public + Schools + Ohio"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Toledo Public Schools
- List of school board elections in 2013
- Lucas County, Ohio ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, Ohio
- Financial policies, education standards at stake in November school board elections
- School board election wrap-up: Incumbents re-elected overwhelmingly in November 5 elections
- School board elections review: Voters opt for experience over new blood in nation's largest school districts
- U.S. Census, "Quick Facts: Lucas County," accessed October 21, 2013
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- Lucas County Board of Elections, "Historic Election Results," accessed October 21, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Ohio Secretary of State, "2013 Candidate Guide," accessed September 20, 2013
- Nolan Rosenkrans The Blade, "Lucas County Democrats snub Vasquez for TPS board," published September 20, 2013
- Lucas County Republican Party, "Candidates," accessed October 29, 2013
- Ohio Secretary of State, "Elections & Voting: Campaign Finance," accessed December 26, 2013
- Ohio Secretary of State, "2013 Election Calendar," accessed September 20, 2013
- Bailey G. Dick, Toledo Free Press, "Candidates pull petitions to fill TPS Board seats," published July 25, 2013