Tom Berry (Texas)
Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|U.S. House, Texas, District 5|
|Service/branch||United States Navy|
Berry's campaign website listed the following issues:
- Excerpt: "Today in America 25 million people are either unemployed or underemployed, wages are declining, one in four mortgages is underwater, and four people are looking for every available job."
- Campaign Finance Reform
- Excerpt: "We also need to reduce the influence of money on members of Congress by having Congress act to instruct the Federal Communications Commission to require the media to provide sufficient free air time (the air waves are free), counterbalanced against paid political advertising time, for all federal candidates in general elections to air their views. "
- Balanced Taxation
- Excerpt: "At the state level and in Washington, vicious attacks are being launched by right wing politicians and their corporate backers against working families, children, the sick, the elderly and the poor."
- Social Security
- Excerpt: "We have to oppose every effort to destroy Social Security, which is entirely self funded, has not contributed a single penny to the deficit, and is not responsible for U.S. budget problems. "
- Medicare for All - Single Payer
- Excerpt: "One of our National goals, as expressed by President Roosevelt on January 11, 1944 in his State of the Union Address was “the right to adequate medical care and the opportunity to achieve and enjoy good health”. Yet today, 67 years later, we still have a national tragedy of over 50 million Americans without health insurance."
- Crumbling Infrastructure
- Excerpt: "We also have to invest in our crumbling infrastructure by rebuilding our roads, bridges, water systems, school and public transportation systems. "
- Trade Policy
- Excerpt: "We have to work to make effective changes in our disastrous trade policies, which have resulted in the loss of millions of jobs as corporations shut down here and move to China and other low wage countries. "
Berry ran in the 2012 election for the U.S. House to represent Texas' 5th District. He and Linda Mrosko defeated Pat Wallace in the Democratic primary on May 29, 2012. He was then defeated by Mrosko in the subsequent runoff on July 31.
|U.S. House of Representatives Runoff Election, Texas, Congressional District 5 Democratic Primary, 2012|
|Linda S. Mrosko||60.8%||1,848|
No campaign donor information information available.
- Campaign website
- Texas Democrats, "2012 Candidate list," accessed May 10, 2012 (dead link)
- Texas Secretary of State, "Unofficial Democratic primary results," May 29, 2012 (timed out)
- Associated Press, Primary runoff results," accessed August 31, 2012
- Texas Secretary of State, "Race Summary Report-2012 Democratic Party Primary Runoff," accessed August 30, 2012
- Open Secrets, "Tom Berry 2012" accessed May 13, 2013
State of Texas
|State executive offices||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Secretary of State | Attorney General | Comptroller | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of General Land Office | Chairman of Workforce Commission | Chairman of Public Utilities | Chairman of Railroad Commission |
List of Counties |
List of Cities |
Texas school districts A - L |
Texas school districts M - Z |