Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Former candidate for|
|Indiana Secretary of State|
- Graduated from Shawe Memorial High School (1964)
- Bachelor's degree, University of Notre Dame (1968)
- Juris Doctorate degree, University of Notre Dame (1974)
Fresh out of law school, McKenna served as a partner in the Michigan City-based private practice law firm of Kenefick, Brennan & Gilmore, remaining there for five years. He worked for a year in 1979 as the Deputy Prosecuting Attorney for the Indiana county of LaPorte. From 1979 until 1984, McKenna was appointed as the director of human resources for the Midwest Steel Division of National Steel in Portage, Indiana before being named vice president of Browning Investments Inc., where he remained for six years. He was sole proprietor of his own consulting firm based out of Carmel, Indiana for a year in 1992 prior to operating as the managing partner for another law practice, Bamberger and Feibleman, in 1994.
The Democratic Governor of Indiana and future United States Senator Evan Bayh named McKenna as a member of the Indiana Parole Board in 1995. He became the executive assistant of operations for the Office of Lieutenant Governor of Indiana Joseph E. Kernan two years later. For five years, beginning in 1998, he served as Executive Director for the Indiana Department of Commerce, a position he maintained until 2003. The same year he left the State Department of Commerce, he rejoined the Office of Lieutenant Governor of Indiana Joseph E. Kernan, only this time as his chief of staff. After Kernan assumed the governorship following the sudden death of Frank O'Bannon, McKenna became his Deputy Chief of Staff for Policy for a year.
- Board of trustees, Martin University in Indianapolis, Indiana
- Board of directors, Friends of Shawe and Pope John XXIII in Madison, Indiana
- Executive advisory council, Sisters of St. Benedict in Ferdinand, Indiana
McKenna currently resides in Indiana with his wife, Mary Ann O'Toole. The couple has had five children - Dylan, Amy, Caitlin, Nan, and Molly - and seven grandchildren - Jack, Finn, Annie, Emma, Teagan, Tyrone, and Catherine.
- Tom McKenna's Facebook profile
- Tom McKenna's Twitter account
- Mckennaforsecretary.com 2010 Campaign website
The Internet Archive's Wayback Machine was used to recall this version of the website from May 16, 2010.