For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
|U.S. Secretary of Labor|
|Elections and appointments|
|Nominated||March 18, 2013|
|Confirmed||July 18, 2013|
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Assistant United States Attorney General for the Civil Rights Division|
|Secretary of the Maryland Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation|
|Montgomery County Council Member|
|Bachelor's||Brown University (1983)|
|Master's||John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University (1987)|
|J.D.||Harvard University Law School (1987)|
|Date of birth||October 7, 1961|
|Place of birth||Buffalo, NY|
Perez is a Dominican-American born in Buffalo, New York. He graduated from Brown University before earning a Master's degree from the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard and his J.D. from Harvard Law School.
Below is an abbreviated outline of Perez' academic, professional and political career:
- 1983: Graduated from Brown University
- 1987: Earned Master's of Public Policy and J.D. from Harvard University
- 1987-1989: Law Clerk for District of Colorado
- 1989-1995: Federal Prosecutor for Dept. of Justice Civil Rights Division
- 1995-1998: Special Counsel to Senator Edward Kennedy (D-MA)
- 1999-2001: Director of Dept. of Health and Human Services Office for Civil Rights
- 2002-2006: Montgomery County Council member
- 2006-2009: Secretary of Maryland Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation
- 2009-2013: Assistant Attorney General for Dept. of Justice Civil Rights Division
- 2013-Present: U.S. Secretary of Labor
|Tom Perez confirmation vote, July 18, 2013|
|Party||Votes for||Votes against||Total votes|
Perez is married with three children. His wife works as an attorney with the Washington Legal Clinic for the Homeless.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Tom + Perez + Secretary + Labor
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Huffington Post, "Thomas Perez Confirmed As Labor Secretary By Senate," July 18, 2013
- Washington Post, "Labor secretary nominee Perez clears early hurdle in confirmation," May 18, 2013
- The White House Blog, "President Obama Nominates Thomas Perez for Secretary of Labor," March 18, 2013
- Howard University School of Law, "Thomas E. Perez Bio," accessed July 18, 2014
- The Big Story, "Biographical Information for Thomas Perez," March 18, 2013
- Govtrack, "On the Nomination PN205: Thomas Edward Perez, of Maryland, to be Secretary of Labor," July 18, 2013)
|U.S. Secretary of Labor
| Succeeded by|