|Alabama Commissioner of Labor|
|October 2012 - June 2014|
|Elections and appointments|
|Appointed by||Governor Robert Bentley|
|Alabama Director of Industrial Relations|
|Bachelor's||University of Alabama at Birmingham|
|Master's||University of Alabama at Birmingham|
|Service/branch||U.S. Army Reserve|
A retired lieutenant colonel in the U.S. Army Reserves, Surtees was the state's Commissioner of Revenue for over three years before joining the Department of Industrial Relations. He is a former member of the Jefferson County Board of Education and the Pleasant Grove City Council.
Besides his public service, Surtees has worked in the private sector as a corporate V.P. and employee relations manager for firms in Birmingham, Alabama.
Surtees holds both a bachelor's and Master's degree in business administration from the University of Alabama at Birmingham, as well as a diploma from the U.S. Army Command and General Staff College. Surtees served in the U.S. Army Reserves for 27 years, and retired with the rank of lieutenant colonel.
Alabama Labor Commissioner (2012-2014)
Surtees was the Alabama Department of Industrial Relations Director when a department merger resulted in his assumption of the post of Commissioner of the Alabama Department of Labor on October 1, 2012. The merger edged out long term state labor commissioner Jim Bennett, who was originally appointed in 2003 by Governor Bob Riley and kept on by current Governor Robert Bentley.
Surtees resigned from the office in June 2014 in order to pursue opportunities in the private sector.
Surtees was named state labor commissioner on October 1, 2012 by Gov. Bentley.
Surtees is married to the former Celia Woods. He has two children and three grandchildren.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Tom + Surtees + Alabama + Labor"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- WFSA.com, "Labor Comm. Jim Bennett retires after 34 years of state service," September 28, 2012
- Alabama Department of Labor, "Alabama Department of Industrial Relations merger with the Alabama Department of Labor," September 24, 2012
- Birmingham Business Journal, "Alabama Labor Commissioner Tom Surtees resigns," June 25, 2014
- Office of the Governor of Alabama, "Tom Surtees - Industrial Relations Director," accessed July 10, 2013 (dead link)
- Associated Press, "AP interview: Bennett's 50 years around government," September 30, 2012 (dead link)
|Alabama Commissioner of Labor
| Succeeded by|