|Alabama State Senate District 27|
|November 3, 2010-Present|
|November 5, 2014|
|Years in position||4|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 4, 2014|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Bachelor's||Auburn University, 1994|
|J.D.||Faulkner University, 1998|
|Service/branch||Alabama Army National Guard|
|Years of service||1988-present|
|Birthday||Lee County, AL|
Whatley earned his B.S. in Public Administration from Auburn University and his J.D. from Thomas Goode Jones School of Law in 1999. His professional experience includes working for the Alabama Public Service Commission and as Chief of Staff to the Chief Justice of the Alabama Supreme Court. Whatley served in the Alabama National Guard, attaining the rank of Lieutenant Colonel.
Whatley served on these committees in the 2011-2012 legislative session:
- Agriculture, Conservation and Forestry Committee Chair
- Banking and Insurance Committee
- Confirmations Committee
- Energy and Natural Resources Committee
- Finance and Taxation Education Committee
- Health Committee
- Judiciary Committee
- Local Legislation No. 1 Committee
- Veterans and Military Affairs Committee
Whatley's website highlighted the following campaign issues:
- Excerpt: "There are many things that we can do to grow our economy but most importantly we must cut wasteful spending and reduce taxes on our small businesses and families."
- Excerpt: "We must help our young people develop the necessary skills to perform to the highest standards, not only by emphasizing reading, science, and math skills, but also by putting time and money into vocational programs such as agriculture and health services education."
- Excerpt: "It's time to end corruption in Montgomery. The practice of career politicians voting themselves a 62% pay raise and double-dipping in our junior college system with do-nothing, no-show jobs must stop."
- Excerpt: "We must support our Alabama National Guard."
- See also: Alabama State Senate elections, 2014
Elections for the office of Alabama State Senate took place in 2014. A primary election took place on June 3, 2014; a runoff election took place where necessary on July 15, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was February 7, 2014. Haylee Moss was unopposed in the Democratic primary. Incumbent Tom Whatley defeated Andy Carter in the Republican primary. Whatley defeated Moss in the general election.
|Alabama State Senate, District 27 Republican Primary, 2014|
|Tom Whatley Incumbent||53.1%||7,950|
- See also: Alabama State Senate elections, 2010
|Alabama State Senate, District 27 General election (2010)|
|Tom Whatley (R)||21,245|
|T.D. Little (D)||17,379|
In 2010, Whatley raised $746,919 in contributions.
His five largest contributors were:
|Alabama Republican Party||$164,635|
|Whatley, Charles & Ann||$100,000|
|Business Council of Alabama||$92,500|
|Alabama Farmers Federation||$54,301|
|Del Marsh for Senate||$31,500|
In 2010, Whatley's endorsements included the following:
- The Alabama Tea Party Express
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
Note: As of November 2014, we were unable to locate any scorecards for the state of Alabama. If you are aware of a scorecard Ballotpedia has not included please email it to email@example.com.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term "Tom + Whatley + Alabama + Senate." Because the results are from a google search, it is possible that some of the links below are not actually related to the legislator.
- Alabama State Senate
- Senate Committees
- Alabama State Legislature
- Alabama state legislative districts
- Tom Whatley's campaign website (Archived)
- Senate website
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions: 2010
- Tom Whatley on Facebook
- Alabama Democrats, "Qualified candidates for public office list," accessed February 25, 2014
- Alabama Republican Party, "State Senate," accessed February 25, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official Democratic Primary Results," accessed June 20, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official Republican Primary Results," accessed June 20, 2014
- Alabama Secretary of State, "Official 2010 General election results," accessed July 18, 2014
- Follow the Money, "2010 contributions," accessed December 23, 2013
- Newt Gingrich 2012, "Newt 2012 Announces Alabama Leadership Team," March 12, 2012 (timed out)
- The Alabama Tea Party Express, "Endorsements," November 2, 2010
|Alabama State Senate District 27
| Succeeded by|