|Texas Agriculture Commissioner|
|Texas House of Representatives District 7|
|1997 - 2011|
|Profession||Founder, Gregg Industrial Insulators|
Merritt is the Founder of Gregg Industrial Insulators, and previously worked as a Postal Inspector for the United States Postal Service from 1971-1974. Before his election to the House, Merritt's political experience consisted of being Chairman/Director of the Gregg County Appraisal Board from 1986-1993. He is a member of the First Baptist Church, Junior Achievement of East Texas, Rail Working Group - National Conference of State Legislators, Turn Around Kilgore, and Turn Around Longview.
- Local & Consent Calendars Committee, Texas House
- Public Safety Committee, Texas House (Chair)
- Redistricting Committee, Texas House
- Transportation Committee, Texas House
- HB 3333 - Relating to the creation and operation of the Texas-Louisiana border region economic development steering committee; authorizing an assessment.
- HB 3650 - Relating to the creation, administration, powers, duties, operations, and financing of a border region higher-speed rail authority for the Texas-Louisiana and the Texas-Mexico border regions; granting the power to issue bonds; imposing a tax; granting the power of eminent domain.
- HB 3987 - Relating to the administration of certain provisions affecting the licensing of persons to carry a concealed handgun.
- HB 4036 - Relating to public safety and the issuance of driver's licenses and identification cards.
Merritt is running for election as Texas Commissioner of Agriculture in 2014.  Marritt came in second in the Republican primary on March 4 and now he faces Sid Miller in the runoff on May 27. The general election takes place on November 4, 2014.
|Texas Agriculture Commissioner Republican Primary, 2014|
|J. Allen Carnes||12.4%||147,599|
|Election Results Via: Texas Secretary of State|
|Texas House of Representatives District 7 Republican Primary, 2012|
|David Simpson Incumbent||61.6%||10,258|
On November 4, 2008, Merritt won re-election to the Texas House of Representatives from Texas's 7th District, defeating Joey Stroman (L). Merritt received 40,671 votes in the election while Stroman received 5,368 votes. Merritt raised $59,072 for his campaign; Stroman raised $450.
|Texas House of Representatives, District 7|
|Tommy Merritt (R)||40,671||88.34%|
|Joey Stroman (L)||5,368||11.65%|
Below are Merritt's top 5 campaign contributors in the 2008 election:
|Mr. & Mrs. Dan Eckerman||$3,000|
|American Electric Power||$3,000|
|Licensed Beverage Distributors||$2,750|
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Tommy + Merritt + Texas + Agriculture"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- In Ag Commissioner Race, Hopefuls Expand Talking Points - MyHighPlains
- Interview with Sid Miller, Candidate for Texas Agriculture Commissioner - Hardhatters
- Water tops Eric Opiela's campaign platform for Texas Ag Commissioner - Your Houston News
- Texas ethics panel reviews transfer of stock for personal use by ag ... - The Republic
- Statewide hopeful Sid Miller shifted stocks from campaign account to personal ... - Dallas Morning News
- Is There a Democrat Running In One of Texas' Republican Primaries? - PJ Media
- Republican candidate for Texas agricultural commissioner talks industry growth - Houston Chronicle (blog)
- Political theater plentiful in 2013 - Longview News-Journal
- Ag commissioner candidate draws ethics complaint - Houston Chronicle (blog)
- Agriculture commissioner candidate Sid Miller facing ethics complaint - Dallas Morning News
- Official campaign website
- Texas House of Representatives - Rep. Merritt
- Legislative profile from Project Vote Smart
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign Contributions: 2008, 2006, 2004, 2002, 1998
- Freedom Speaks profile
- Texas State Directory profile
- Texas Political Almanac HD 7 page
- Texas Tribune profile & bio
- Vote-TX.org profile
- State Surge profile
- Project Vote Smart - Rep. Merritt
- Texas Legislature - Bills Authored/Joint Authored by Rep. Merritt
- News-Journal, "Former lawmaker ponders bid for state agriculture commissioner," July 26, 2013
- Texas Secretary of State - 2012 Election and Candidate Information
- Texas Secretary of State, "1992 - Current Election History," accessed February 17, 2014
- Office of the (Texas) Secretary of State, "Race Summary Report," accessed July 12, 2012
- Results for March 2, 2010 primary in Texas
- Texas Secretary of State, "1992 - Current Election History," accessed February 24, 2014
- District 7 Texas House candidate funds, 2008
- Follow the Money - 2008 Campaign contributions
|Texas House District 7
| Succeeded by|
State of Texas
|State executive offices||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Secretary of State | Attorney General | Comptroller | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of General Land Office | Chairman of Workforce Commission | Chairman of Public Utilities | Chairman of Railroad Commission |
List of Counties |
List of Cities |
Texas school districts A - L |
Texas school districts M - Z |