Toms River Regional Schools, New Jersey
|Toms River Regional Schools|
|Ocean County, New Jersey|
|Superintendent:||Tom Gialanella (Interim)|
|Number of schools:||18|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
|Board president:||Joseph Torrone|
- 1 About the district
- 2 Superintendent
- 3 School board
- 4 Budget
- 5 Teacher salaries
- 6 Schools in Toms River Regional Schools
- 7 Issues
- 8 Website evaluation
- 9 Contact information
- 10 See also
- 11 External links
- 12 References
About the district
Ocean County lagged behind state rates for poverty, median income and higher education achievement in 2010. The county had a poverty rate of 9.5% in the 2010 U.S. Census while the state rate was 9.4%. The 2010 U.S. Census calculated Ocean County's median income at $60,712 while the state median income was $71,180. The percentage of county residents over 25 years old with undergraduate degrees (24.5%) was below the state average (35%).
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
The current superintendent of Toms River Regional Schools is Tom Gialanella, who is serving as interim until a new appointment is made. Gialanella recently retired from Jackson School District where he served as superintendent for 11 years.
The Toms River Regional School Board has nine members that are elected by district to three-year terms. Six are elected from Toms River Township, and one each from the Boroughs of Pine Beach, Beachwood, and South Toms River.
|Toms River Regional School Board|
|Joseph Torrone||President||Toms River District||2015|
|Ginny Rhine||Vice President||Toms River District||2015|
|Gigi Esparza||Member||South Toms River District||2015|
|Ben Giovine||Member||Toms River District||2014|
|Gloria McCormack||Member||Beachwood District||2016|
|Alex Pavliv||Member||Toms River District||2014|
|Walt Ramsay||Member||Pine Beach District||2016|
|James Sigurdson||Member||Toms River District||2016|
|Loreen Torrone||Member||Toms River District||2014|
School board elections
Three seats on the Toms River Regional School Board were up for election on November 5, 2013. Three seats will be up for election in 2014 and three seats will be up in 2015.
Toms River Regional Schools publishes its annual budget on its website.
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
Toms River Regional School District does not publish its teacher salary schedule on its website.
Schools in Toms River Regional Schools
Toms River Regional Schools serves 16,574 students, as of 2012-2013 enrollment data. The district experienced a 3.5% decrease in enrollment between 2008 and 2012. The following chart details enrollment in the district between 2008 and 2012:
|Year||Enrollment||Year-to-year change (%)|
Toms River Regional Schools operates 18 schools listed below in alphabetical order:
|Toms River Regional Schools|
|Beachwood Elementary School|
|Cedar Grove Elementary School|
|Citta Elementary School|
|East Dover Elementary School|
|High School East|
|High School North|
|High School South|
|Hooper Avenue Elementary School|
|North Dover Elementary School|
|Pine Beach Elementary School|
|Silver Bay Elementary School|
|South Toms River Elementary School|
|Walnut Street Elementary School|
|Washington Street Elementary School|
|West Dover Elementary School|
Corruption charges and financial mismanagement
Former Superintendent, Jerome Ballarotto, is facing corruption charges from the FBI.
Another former Superintendent Michael J. Ritacco is also facing corruption charges and the school district has decided to withhold Ritacco's sick/leave pay of $53,149 until the trial is completed. The school board approved a name change to the arena that bore Ritacco's name to Pine Belt Arena. Pine Belt Auto Group will pay $100,000 a year for 5 years for the naming.
|Transparency grading process|
- Contact information for administrative officials is posted.
- Meeting minutes and agendas are posted.
- Elected officials are posted, but their contact information is not available.
- It has a public records request form here.
- Budget is posted, but was hard to find. It was found in the news section when it was released.
- Contact and term information for elected officials is not available.
- Website does not have a search function.
- Audits are not available.
- Information regarding background checks is not posted.
- Academic Performance is not noted.
- School board elections portal
- Toms River Regional Schools elections (2013)
- List of school districts in New Jersey
- New Jersey
- Toms River Regional Schools, "2013-14 User Friendly Budget Summary," accessed November 26, 2013
- 2010 U.S. Census, "Quick Facts: Ocean County," accessed October 21, 2013
- Ocean County Clerk, "Election Services," accessed October 21, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014
- Toms River Regional Schools, "Toms River Regional Appoints Thomas Gialanella Interim Superindents of Schools," accessed January 27, 2014
- Toms River Regional Schools, "Board of Education," accessed January 27, 2014
- State of New Jersey Department of Education, "Fall Enrollment Charts," accessed January 28, 2014
- Toms River Regional Schools, "Schools," accessed January 27, 2014
- Jean Mikle, APP.com, "Toms River district overpaid," June 11, 2011
- New York Post, "NJ school superintendent to surrender to FBI," accessed October 21, 2010
- APP.com, "Ritacco's sick pay being withheld by district," accessed October 27, 2010
- JacksonOnline, "Toms River’s Ritacco Center gets new name after $500,000 Pine Belt Auto deal," accessed July 7, 2011
- Administrative Officials
- Minutes and Agendas
- School Board