|Board Member, Jeffco Public Schools, District 1|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 5, 2013|
|Ph.D.||University of Colorado Denver|
|Profession||Public policy analyst|
- 1 Biography
- 2 Elections
- 3 Campaign themes
- 4 What was at stake?
- 5 About the district
- 6 Recent news
- 7 See also
- 8 External links
- 9 References
Aultman-Bettridge has her Ph.D. in Public Administration, with a focus on youth/family public policy, from University of Colorado Denver. She is married to Glen, and the couple has one son. She is employed as a researcher and public policy analyst for issues concerning children, youth and family.
- See also: Jeffco Public Schools elections (2013)
Aultman-Bettridge was running for election against challenger Julie Williams on November 5, 2013.
|Jeffco Board of Education, Four-year term, District 1, 2013|
|Source: Jefferson County Board of Elections, "2013 Coordinated Election," November 27, 2013|
Aultman-Bettridge was endorsed by the Golden Good Government League, the Jeffco Democrats Latino Initiative and Denver Area Labor Federation, among others.
Aultman-Bettridge listed her campaign priorities as the following on her website:
Parent and Caregiver Engagement
Note: The above quote is from the candidate's website, which may include some typographical or spelling errors.
What was at stake?
Three seats on the board were at stake in this election in Districts 1, 2 and 5. All incumbents of those districts were ineligible to run for another term because of Amendment 17 to the Colorado Constitution, which states that no "elected official of any [...] school district [...] shall serve more than two consecutive terms in office." As a result, all board members voted in this election will be new.
Issues in the election
Stances on Amendment 66
Colorado voters cast ballots on Amendment 66, a constitutional amendment that increases income taxes to support public education. The following table lists the publicly stated position of each Board of Education candidate on the amendment.
|Stances on Amendment 66|
|Gordon Van de Water||Support|
Issues in the district
Superintendent Cindy Stevenson announced plans to resign from the district shortly after the 2013 school board election. Stevenson left the district to work with the Colorado Association of School Executives after 12 years as superintendent. During a board meeting on February 8, the outgoing superintendent noted that the current board wanted changes in district leadership and she felt a lack of respect from new board members. Stevenson's speech drew cheers from supporters in the audience and boos for board members. Board member Julie Williams countered that Stevenson had not attempted to work with the board, citing her intention to leave the district shortly after the election. The board is working with district officials to handle day-to-day affairs through the remainder of the school year rather than appointing an interim superintendent.
About the district
- See also: Jeffco Public Schools, Colorado
Jefferson County outperformed the rest of Colorado in terms of graduation rate, median household income and poverty rate. The average household income in Jefferson County was $67,827 compared to $57,685 for the state of Colorado. The poverty rate in Colorado Springs was 8.5% compared to 12.5% for the entire state. The graduation rate was 93.2% compared to 89.7% statewide.
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Tonya + Aultman-Bettridge + Jeffco + Public + Schools"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Tonya Aultman-Bettridge for Jeffco School Board, "About Tonya," accessed November 1, 2013
- Colorado TRACER, "Candidate Detail," accessed December 20, 2013
- Tonya Aultman-Bettridge for Jeffco School Board, "Endorsements," accessed November 1, 2013
- Tracy Aultman-Bettridge for Jeffco School Board, "Policies," accessed November 3, 2013
- Colorado Community Media, "Jeffco: Candidates' views differ on Amendment 66," accessed November 4, 2013
- 9News, "Jefferson County Schools Superintendent: 'I will be gone by the end of the month'," February 9, 2014
- Zahira Torres, Denver Post, "Jefferson County Schools Superintendent Cindy Stevenson will leave post early," February 8, 2014
- U.S. Census, "Quick Facts: Jefferson County, accessed October 28, 2013
- Colorado Secretary of State, “Voter Registration Numbers,” Accessed October 28, 2013
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014