|U.S. House, Pennsylvania, District 9|
|Elections and appointments|
|Next primary||May 20, 2014|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|High school||James Buchanan Senior High School|
|Bachelor's||Shippensburg University, 2000|
|Service/branch||United States Army|
|Place of birth||McConnellsburg, PA|
|Profession||Small business owner|
Schooley joined the United States Army in 1993, where he served as an Intelligence Analyst. After leaving active duty, he continued to serve in the Army National Guard as an analyst, supervisor and common task trainer. He graduated from Shippensburg University in 2000 with a BS in Environmental Studies.
Schooley has experience working in the private sector with public utilities and engineering services. He owns and operates a small business raising livestock.
Schooley's campaign website lists the following issues:
- Preservation of Liberty
- Excerpt: "A free people who are able to keep the fruits of their labor will be motivated to work hard and produce to improve the quality of their life. Just as Benjamin Franklin warned, Liberty should not be sacrificed for security. If we aimlessly give into fear over security concerns and put into place permanent excessive surveillance and un-Constitutional enforcement practices, we risk the long-term degradation or extinction of Liberty."
- Government Managed Economy and Over-Spending
- Excerpt: "Big government spending policies are bankrupting America and saddling the current and future generations with an insurmountable debt. It is irresponsible, immoral, and quite frankly causing a confidence issue with the dollar. The debt ceiling should not be raised despite the fear of not doing so. We have a spending problem not a revenue problem."
- Protect the Second Amendment at all Costs
- Excerpt: "The Nation’s Founders recognized that the right of the people to keep and bear arms was instrumental in ensuring the guarantee of the other rights in the Bill of Rights, and for providing for the common defense of the newly formed nation."
- Sensible Tax Reform
- Excerpt: "We don't need tax rebates, we need permanent tax cuts for everyone, which are only possible with spending cuts and abiding by the principles of a limited government. Less Taxes will put money into the hands of people and businesses alike to improve our economy and create new jobs."
- Responsible Immigration and Border Security
- Excerpt: "We should welcome new people to our lands who are enterprising and wanting to become Americans. However, we should not allow ourselves to be taken advantage of and it is questionable how helpful it is to allow undocumented foreign workers into this country to displace American laborers, particularly if these people have no intention of becoming Americans or to become properly documented."
Schooley is running in the 2014 election for the U.S. House to represent Pennsylvania's 9th District. Schooley is seeking the Republican nomination in the primary on May 20, 2014. The general election takes place November 4, 2014.
Schooley was running in the 2012 election for the U.S. House, representing Pennsylvania's 9th District. Schooley sought the nomination on the Republican ticket. The signature filing deadline for candidates wishing to run was February 14, 2012. Schooley was running against incumbent Rep. Bill Shuster in the April 24, 2012, Republican primary.
Schooley was disqualified from appearing in the primary ballot after a judge ruled that only 987 of the 1,045 petition signatures he turned in were valid. Candidates needed to file 1,000 valid signatures to qualify for the ballot.
Candidates for Congress are required to file up to seven main reports with the Federal Election Commission during the 2014 elections season. Below are Schooley's reports.
|Travis Schooley (2014) Campaign Finance Reports|
|Report||Date Filed||Beginning Balance||Total Contributions|
for Reporting Period
|Expenditures||Cash on Hand|
|October Quarterly||October 15, 2013||$0.00||$6,721.53||$(6,524.79)||$196.74|
|Year-End||January 23, 2014||$196||$5,542||$(5,068)||$670|
Schooley is married and has three children. He is a Christian.
- Pennsylvania's 9th Congressional District elections, 2014
- United States House of Representatives elections in Pennsylvania, 2014
- United States House of Representatives elections, 2014
- Travis Schooley for Congress, "Home," accessed October 23, 2013
- Campaign website, "About Travis," accessed March 17, 2014
- Campaign website, "My Approach," accessed March 17, 2014
- PoliticsPA "Shuster Alone on the PA-9 Ballot, Might Face Dem" Accessed March 17, 2012
- Federal Election Commission, "Elisabeth Jensen 2014 Summary reports," Accessed November 11, 2013
- Federal Election Commission, "October Quarterly," accessed November 11, 2013
- Federal Election Commission, "Year-End," accessed February 12, 2014
State of Pennsylvania
|State executive offices||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor General | Secretary of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Secretary of Conservation and Natural Resources | Secretary of Labor & Industry | Chairman of Public Utilities |