United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit
| Initiative law|
Ballot access rulings
Recent court cases
Ballot title challenges
| Laws governing|
local ballot measures
Rulings from the Tenth Circuit relevant to I&R
- Yes on Term Limits v Savage. This case, initiated in 2007, was appealled to the Tenth Circuit. It concerned Oklahoma's residency requirements. The Tenth Circuit overturned a lower court's decision, with a 3-person panel of the 10th ruling unanimously in favor of the plaintiffs and against Oklahoma's residency requirement, which the 10th Circuit said was unconstitutional. Oklahoma Attorney General Drew Edmondson asked the full 10th circuit to hear the case and on January 21, 2009, the 10th circuit declined to do so, saying that no judges on the court wished to reconsider it. 
- Chandler v. City of Arvada. In this 2002 case, the Tenth Circuit threw out a residency requirement for petition circulation in the city of Arvada, Colorado, determining that the requirement was an unconstitutional abridgement of the first amendment rights of the plaintiffs.
- Initiative & Referendum Institute v. Herbert. This case sought, unsuccessfully, to overturn Utah Supermajority for Hunting Initiatives, Proposition 5 (1998) on the grounds that it involves unconstitutional viewpoint discrimination.
- Campbell v. Buckley. In this February 2000 ruling, the 10th circuit upheld lower court rulings that rejected a lawsuit claiming that Colorado's single-subject rule was unconstitutional.
- Buckley v. American Constitutional Law Foundation. In 1999, the U.S. Supreme Court upheld a ruling of the 10th Circuit that overturned a number of provisions of Colorado's laws governing petition circulators.
- Meyer v. Grant. In Meyer v. Grant, the U.S. Supreme Court upheld (in 1988) a decision of the 10th Circuit. The 10th Circuit had overruled a lower court ruling that upheld a Colorado law making it illegal to pay people to circulate petitions.
Courts over which the 10th Circuit has appellate jurisdiction
- District of Colorado
- District of Kansas
- District of New Mexico
- Eastern District of Oklahoma
- Northern District of Oklahoma
- Western District of Oklahoma
- District of Utah
- District of Wyoming
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit Official website.
- Federal judicial appointment history of the Tenth Circuit
- Ideological voting on Federal Courts of Appeal A 2003 joint study by the American Enterprise Institute and the Brookings Institute.
<ref>tags exist, but no
<references/>tag was found