United States Senate elections in Massachusetts, 2014
November 4, 2014
|Candidate Filing Deadline||Primary Election||General Election|
Primary: Massachusetts is one of 22 states with a mixed primary system. Unaffiliated voters are allowed to vote in the primary election. They may choose which party ballot they wish to vote on and still remain unaffiliated.
- See also: Massachusetts elections, 2014
Incumbent: The election is being held to fill the Class 2 Senate seat held by Ed Markey (D). Markey was first elected in a special election on June 25, 2013. The election was held to replace John Kerry, who was appointed to the position of Secretary of State.
Note: Prior to the signature filing deadline, candidates will be added when Ballotpedia writers come across declared candidates. If you see a name of a candidate who is missing, please email us and we will add that name. As the election draws closer, more information will be added to this page.
Reports circulated in September 2013 that Gomez was mulling a re-match against Ed Markey (D) in 2014. Gomez lost to Markey by 10 points in the special election for the vacant Senate seat in 2013.
On June 25, 2013, Ed Markey won election to the United States Senate seat vacated by John Kerry, after his confirmation by the U.S. Senate to the position of Secretary of State. He defeated Gabriel Gomez and Richard Heos in the general election.
|U.S. Senate, Massachusetts General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Scott Brown Incumbent||45.8%||1,458,048|
|Source: Massachusetts Secretary of State "Return of Votes"|
- United States House of Representatives elections in Massachusetts, 2014
- United States Senate elections, 2014
- Secretary of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Website, "Massachusetts Directory of Political Parties and Designations," accessed January 3, 2014
- Secretary of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts Website, "Voter Registration Information," accessed January 3, 2014
- Masslive.com "Independent Bruce Skarin enters U.S. Senate race, challenging Sen. Ed Markey with walking campaign across Massachusetts," accessed February 15, 12014
- Masslive.com, "Republican Frank Addivinola launches campaign for U.S. Senate seat held by Ed Markey," accessed February 19, 2014
- Milford Daily News, "Addivinola anounces run for U.S. Senate seat," accessed February 19, 2014
- Politico, "Gabriel Gomez mulls rematch vs. Ed Markey," accessed September 19, 2013
- Boston Globe "," December 27, 2012
- Yahoo news "Mo Cowan appointed interim U.S. senator for Massachusetts"
- U.S. Congress House Clerk "Statistics of the Congressional Election of November 4, 2008"