United States school shootings, 1990-present
School shootings overview
School shootings by region
This page gives an overview of U.S. school shootings that have taken place since 1990. The information represents shootings that have occurred in K-12 schools and does not detail college or university shootings. The table and regional list below includes incidents where a person deliberately shot him or herself in a suicide or suicide attempt.
The breakdown of regional gun violence in K-12 schools is as follows:
- Midwest: 22 incidents of gun violence, which resulted in 25 fatalities and 33 injuries
- Deadliest incident: Red Lake High School massacre on March 21, 2005, where 16-year old Jeffrey Weise killed five fellow students, one teacher and a security guard before killing himself.
- Northeast: 9 incidents of gun violence, which resulted in 39 fatalities and 24 injuries
- Deadliest incident: Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre on December 14, 2012, where 20-year old Adam Lanza gunned down 20 young children and 6 adults before taking his own life.
- South: 39 incidents of gun violence, which resulted in 33 fatalities and 68 injuries
- Deadliest incident: Westside Middle School massacre on March 24, 1998, where 11-year old Andrew Golden and 13-year old MItchell Johnson killed five fellow students and injured ten others.
- West: 32 incidents of gun violence, which resulted in 44 fatalities and 100 injuries
- Deadliest incident: Columbine High School massacre on April 20, 1999, where 18-year old Eric Harris and 17-year old Dylan Klebold killed twelve students and one teacher, before turning the guns on themselves.
School shootings overview
School shootings by region
There are no recorded school shootings in Arizona, Delaware, Idaho, Iowa, Kansas, Massachusetts, Missouri, Montana, New Hampshire, New Jersey, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Utah, West Virginia and Wyoming from 1990 to the present.
- September 13, 2005 in Chicago, Illinois.
- January 9, 2009 in Chicago, Illinois.
- September 7, 2012 in Normal, Illinois.
- March 30, 2001 in Gary, Indiana.
- March 25, 2011 in Martinsville, Indiana.
- December 17, 1993 in Chelsea, Michigan.
- A science teacher at Chelsea High School, Steven Leith, left a staff meeting and returned with a gun, fatally shooting the superintendent and injuring the school's principal and another teacher. The meeting was in regards to Leith making inappropriate comments about a female student. He was convicted of murder in the first degree.
- February 29, 2000 in Flint, Michigan.
- Dedrick Owens, 6, shot and fatally wounded a fellow student in the stairwell at Buell Elementary School while the students were told to line up. He proceeded to throw the gun into a garbage can and flee into a nearby restroom. The incident is the youngest case of school gun violence. Because of his age and inability to articulate his intent, Owens was never charged for the murder.
- October 16, 2008 in Detroit, Michigan.
- September 8, 2010 in Detroit, Michigan.
- December 28, 2011 in Flint, Michigan.
- January 11, 2013 in Detroit, Michigan.
- March 21, 2013 in Southgate, Michigan.
- September 24, 2003 in Cold Spring, Minnesota.
- March 21, 2005 in Red Lake, Minnesota.
- January 5, 2011 in Omaha, Nebraska.
- October 12, 2012 in Fairmount, North Dakota.
- November 7, 1994 in Wickliffe, Ohio.
- Keith Ledeger, 37, shot and killed a custodian at Wickliffe Middle School, where Ledeger had been a student. Four other adults were wounded in the attack.
- October 10, 2007 in Cleveland, Ohio.
- February 27, 2012 in Chardon, Ohio.
- April 29, 2013 in Cincinnati, Ohio.
- A student at LaSalle High School attempted suicide by shooting himself in front of his classmates. He survived.
- September 29, 2006 in Cazenovia, Wisconsin.
- November 29, 2010 in Marinette, Wisconsin.
- December 14, 2012 in Newtown, Connecticut.
- Adam Lanza, 20, killed his mother at home and then proceeded into Sandy Hook Elementary School where he gunned down 20 students, who were all between the ages of 6 and 7. He also killed six adults, including the school's principal. All of the victims were shot between 3 and 11 times. Two other students were injured. After his rampage, Lanza shot himself and committed suicide. The massacre was one of the deadliest in United States history.
- September 28, 2013 in Gray, Maine.
- January 15, 2002 in New York City, New York.
- February 9, 2004 in East Greenbush, New York.
- April 24, 1998 in Edinboro, Pennsylvania.
- April 24, 2003 in Red Lion, Pennsylvania.
- October 2, 2006 in Nickel Mines, Pennsylvania.
- Charles Carl Roberts IV, 32, drove into the one-room West Nickel Mines School and killed five school-age girls before turning the gun on himself. The ages of his victims ranged from 6 to 13.
- November 13, 2013 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.
- August 24, 2006 in Essex, Vermont.
- February 5, 2010 in Madison, Alabama.
- December 15, 1997 in Stamps, Arkansas.
- Joseph “Colt” Todd, 14, shot and wounded two students at Stamps High School while hiding in a wooded area near the school. The injuries were not life-threatening.
- March 24, 1998 in Craighead County, Arkansas.
- November 27, 1997 in West Palm Beach, Florida.
- May 26, 2000 in Lake Worth, Florida.
- November 13, 2008 in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
- March 6, 2012 in Jacksonville, Florida.
- Fired Spanish teacher Shane Schumerth, 28, shot and killed the head of Episcopal School of Jacksonville. The shooter had reportedly been struggling with depression.
- January 7, 2013 in Fort Myers, Florida.
- A 27-year old man was shot and killed at Apostolic Revival Center Christian School while dropping off his children. Numerous reports indicate it may have been a retaliation killing.
- June 20, 2013 in West Palm Beach, Florida.
- October 4, 2013 in Pine Hills, Florida.
- Two teenage boys at Agape Christian Academy were injured by a shooter who fled away in a car with several other boys. The shooter has not been caught.
- December 4, 2013 in Winter Garden, Florida.
- May 20, 1999 in Conyers, Georgia.
- August 24, 2012 in Homer, Georgia.
- January 31, 2013 in Atlanta, Georgia.
- August 20, 2013 in Decatur, Georgia.
- Michael Brandon Hill, 20, allegedly entered Ronald E. McNair Discovery Learning Academy and fired six shots outside the school office. He barricaded himself after on-site police returned fire. School clerk Antoinette Tuft was able to talk the shooter into dropping his weapon and surrendering. No one was injured.
- November 3, 2013 in Lithonia, Georgia.
- January 18, 1993 in Grayson, Kentucky.
- Gary Scott Pennington, 17, fatally shot his East Carter High School teacher after she refused to change a grade. A social studies teacher and the head custodian entered the classroom to investigate when Pennington shot and killed the head custodian. He was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole for 25 years.
- December 1, 1997 in West Paducah, Kentucky.
- September 26, 2000 in New Orleans, Louisiana.
- May 18, 2009 in Larose, Louisiana.
- Justin Doucet, 15, left to go to the restroom during class at Lafourche Parish Public Schools, Louisiana and walked into a neighboring classroom where he shot at the teacher after she refused to "hail Marilyn Manson." The shot missed her, at which point he walked into a nearby bathroom and committed suicide by shooting himself under the chin.
- October 7, 2002 in Bowie, Maryland.
- May 7, 2004 in Randallstown, Maryland.
- August 27, 2012 in Perry Hall, Maryland.
- October 1, 1997 in Pearl, Mississippi.
- August 23, 2013 in Sardis, Mississippi.
- August 30, 2006 in Hillsborough, North Carolina.
- October 24, 2011 in Fayetteville, North Carolina.
- August 30, 2013 in Winston-Salem, North Carolina.
- February 6, 1992 in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma.
- December 6, 1999 at Fort Gibson, Oklahoma.
- September 26, 2012 in Stillwater, Oklahoma.
- October 12, 1995 in Blackville, South Carolina.
- November 15, 1995 in Lynnville, Tennessee.
- May 19, 1998 in Fayetteville, Tennessee.
- November 8, 2005 in La Follette, Tennessee.
- February 4, 2008 in Memphis, Tennessee.
- February 11, 2008 in Memphis, Tennessee.
- August 16, 2012 in Memphis, Tennessee.
- January 8, 1991 in Richardson, Texas.
- March 31, 2011 in Houston, Texas.
- January 10, 2012 in Houston, Texas.
- October 15, 2013 in Austin, Texas.
- June 15, 1998 in Richmond, Virginia.
- February 19, 1997 in Bethel, Alaska.
- April 23, 1991 in Compton, California.
- May 1, 1992 in Olivehurst, California.
- February 8, 1996 in Menlo Park, California.
- Douglas Bradley, 16, drove past the basketball court at Mid-Peninsula High School and began throwing money to attract the attention of his fellow students. He then shot a 14-year old boy in the leg and sprayed bullets into a nearby classroom. Soon after, he turned the handgun on himself and committed suicide.
- June 8, 1999 in Lynwood, California.
- March 5, 2001 in Santee, California.
- March 22, 2001 in El Cajon, California.
- February 12, 2008 in Oxnard, California.
- Brandon McInerney, 17, shot and killed 15-year-old Larry King in the computer lab of Green Junior High School. Because King was gay, the incident was initially deemed a hate crime. However, in 2011, the prosecution dropped that allegation and McInerney was tried as an adult. The case inspired the 2013 documentary, Valentine Road.
- June 16, 2009 in San Francisco, California.
- October 1, 2010 in Salinas, California.
- October 8, 2010 in Carlsbad, California.
- February 2, 2011 in Placerville, California.
- January 10, 2013 in Taft, California.
- December 19, 2013 in Fresno, California.
- April 20, 1999 in Columbine, Colorado.
- In one of the bloodiest and most publicized cases of school violence, Eric Harris, 18, and Dylan Klebold, 17, killed twelve students and one teacher at Columbine High School. They made home videos before the attacks detailing their intentions and apologizing to their parents. They committed suicide in the library after opening fire in the school library. The case remains one of the most deadly in U.S. history.
- September 27, 2006 in Bailey, Colorado.
- Duane Roger Morrison, 53, entered Platte Canyon High School and took six female students hostage. He sexually assaulted them, before killing one of the hostages and himself.
- February 23, 2010 in Littleton, Colorado.
- December 6, 2010 in Aurora, Colorado.
- December 13, 2013 in Centennial, Colorado.
- May 23, 2011 in Pearl City, Hawaii.
- March 14, 2006 in Reno, Nevada.
- October 21, 2013 in Sparks, Nevada.
- November 19, 1999 in Deming, New Mexico.
- January 14, 2014 in Roswell, New Mexico.
- May 21, 1998 in Springfield, Oregon.
- Kip Kinkel, 15, killed his parents and drove to Thurston High School where he opened fire in the hallway and cafeteria. He killed two students and injured 25. When he stopped to reload his gun, two students tackled Kinkel. He was sentenced to 111 years in prison without the possibility of parole.
- February 23, 2006 in Roseburg, Oregon.
- February 8, 2007 in Prineville, Oregon.
- January 31, 1994 in Seattle, Washington.
- January 12, 1995 in Seattle, Washington.
- February 2, 1996 in Moses Lake, Washington.
- January 3, 2007 in Tacoma, Washington.
- August 14, 2008 in Federal Way, Washington.
- Omero Mendez, 26, was sitting in the parking lot of Lakota Middle School waiting to pick up a student when he was confronted by Luis F. Cosgaya-Alvarez, 16. Mendez was flashed gang signs and shot by Cosgaya-Alvarez. Mendez died of his injuries and Cosgaya-Alvarez was sentenced to 18 years in prison.
- February 22, 2012 in Bremerton, Washington.
- Stop the Shootings
- List of school shootings in the United States
- School shootings since Columbine High massacre
- Deadliest U.S. School Shootings
- News Services, Chicago Tribune, "Teen held in school shooting," September 15, 2005
- Staff, NBC 5 Chicago, "18-Year-Old Charged In Dunbar High Shootings," January 16, 2009
- Associated Press, Huffington Post Education, "Illinois School Shooting: Shots Fired In Normal Community High School, 1 Student In Custody," September 7, 2012
- Times Wire Services, Los Angeles Times, "Teen Fatally Shot Outside School," March 31, 2001
- Hasan Dudar, Huffington Post, "Police: Indiana Teen Had Gun Before School Shooting," April 18, 2011
- Pat Shellenbarger, Bridge Magazine, "1993 Chelsea school shooter on gun control: These are man-made efforts to try to correct what can’t be corrected," April 11, 2013
- Murderpedia, "Dedrick Owens," accessed January 7, 2014
- StoptheShootings.org, "Shooting at Henry Ford High School," accessed January 7, 2014
- Staff, Action News, "Teen charged in shootings outside Mumford High," September 10, 2010
- David Harris, M Live, "Second 17-year-old man arrested for shooting outside basketball game at Flint Northern High School," January 11, 2012
- Staff, CBS Detroit, "Teen Shot After High School Basketball Game," January 12, 2013
- Alexis Wiley, Fox 2 News, "Teen commits suicide at middle school in Southgate," March 22, 2013
- Associated Press, Minnesota Public Radio, "Teen convicted of murder in Rocori High School shootings," July 18, 2005
- Murderpedia, "Jeffrey Weise," accessed January 7, 2014
- Henry J. Cordes and John Ferak, The World-Herald, "Millard South shooting: Suspension ignited fury," January 5, 2011
- Aaron Rupar, City Pages, "Student hands girlfriend note, tells teacher he's sorry, then shoots himself in classroom," October 12, 2012
- Tracey Read, The News-Herald, "Remembering 1994: Wickliffe Middle School shooter has since died in prison," February 29, 2012
- Associated Press, FoxNews.com, "5 Hospitalized After 14-Year-Old Goes on Shooting Rampage at Cleveland High School," October 11, 2007
- Staff, Huffington Post, "T.J. Lane Life Sentence: Chardon High School Shooter Appears In Court Wearing 'KILLER' T-Shirt," March 19, 2013
- Erik Ortiz, Daily News, "Student attempts suicide with gun at La Salle High School in Cincinnati," April 29, 2013
- Associated Press, USA Today, "Wisconsin principal dies after school shooting," September 30, 2006
- Chris Bury, Lee Ferran and Leezel Tanglao, ABC News, "Wisconsin School Gunman Samuel Hengel Dies After Shooting Self," November 30, 2010
- CNN, "Sandy Hook shooting: What happened?," accessed January 7, 2014
- Seth Koenig, Bangor Daily News, "Police release name of teen who shot himself during homecoming festivities in Gray," September 30, 2013
- CBSNews.com staff, CBSNews.com, "Arrest in NYC School Shooting," January 15, 2002
- Marc Santora, The New York Times, "Student Opens Fire at a High School Near Albany, Hitting a Teacher," February 10, 2004
- Staff, CNN, "Pennsylvania students cope with shooting spree," April 25, 1998
- Johnna A. Pro, Post-Gazette, "York County 14-year-old shoots principal, turns gun on himself," April 25, 2003
- Murderpedia, "Charles Carl Roberts IV," accessed January 7, 2013
- M. Alex Johnson, NBC News, "Teen charged after three students shot near Pittsburgh high school," November 13, 2013
- Sean Alfano, CBS News, "2 Dead In Vermont School Shooting," August 24, 2006
- Brian Lawson, AL.com, "Timeline: Three years of twists, turns in Hammad Memon Discovery Middle School murder case," May 28, 2013
- Staff, CNN, "Two students wounded in Arkansas shooting," December 15, 1997
- The Encyclopedia of Arkansas History & Culture, "Westside School Shooting," accessed January 7, 2014
- Murderpedia, "Tronneal Magnum," accessed January 7, 2014
- Kate Randall, World Socialist Web Site, "Florida middle school student held in fatal shooting of teacher," June 7, 2000
- Ihosvani Rodriguez, Kathy Bushouse, Alexia Campbell and Sofia Santana, SunSentinel, "Girl, 15, charged in fatal Dillard High School shooting," November 13, 2008
- Lizette Alvarez, The New York Times, "Florida Prep School Copes With Shock and Loss," March 8, 2012
- Staff, ABC 20, "School Reopens After Shooting In Parking Lot," January 8, 2013
- Allison Ross and Alexandra Seltzer, The Palm Beach Post, "Man linked to double Dreyfoos murders tried to sell gun to co-worker; other new allegations revealed," June 25, 2013
- Associated Press, wftv.com, "2 students shot at Agape Christian Academy in Pine Hills," October 4, 2013
- Associated Press, wftv.com, "Officials: Student charged in shooting of teen at West Orange High School," December 5, 2013
- Staff, 11Alive, "Tentative parole set for Heritage High School gunman," December 19, 2012
- Staff, MyFoxAtlanta.com, "Student who shot self at Banks Co. High School dies," September 1, 2012
- Staff, CBS Atlanta, "Atlanta police gang unit investigating Price Middle School shooting," March 1, 2013
- Staff, CBS News, "School shooting tragedy averted in Ga.," August 20, 2013
- Staff, Athens Banner-Herald, "Football player shot outside metro Atlanta school," November 5, 2013
- Kenneth Hart, The Independent, "20 years later: East Carter school shooting," January 13, 2013
- Murderpedia, "Michael Adam Carneal," accessed January 8, 2014
- Alan Clendenning, ABC News, "2 Hurt in New Orleans School Shooting," September 26, 2000
- Mary Foster, Huffington Post, "Louisiana School Shooting: Student Shoots Himself In The Head After Firing At Teacher," May 18, 2009
- James Dao, The New York Times, "Youngest Victim of Sniper Tells of Bullet in Chest," October 30, 2003
- Jennifer McMenamin, The Baltimore Sun "Teen gets 100 years in school shooting," January 28, 2005
- Jessica Anderson, The Baltimore Sun, "Perry Hall High School shooter Gladden gets 35 years in prison," February 25, 2013
- Murderpedia, "Luke Woodham," accessed January 8, 2014
- Yolanda Jones, The Commercial Appeal, "Three arrested in Panola County slaying as authorities blame gangs," August 26, 2013
- Beth Karas, CNN.com, "Man obsessed with Columbine convicted of murder," August 21, 2009
- Bryan Mims, WRAL.com, "Teen moves forward after Cape Fear High shooting," April 8, 2013
- John Hinton, Winston-Salem Journal, "UPDATE: 18-year-old charged in shooting at Carver," August 31, 2013
- John Perry, NewsOK, "City Campuses Close After Shooting Death Security, Searches Stepped Up," February 8, 1992
- Eric Weslander, LJWorld.com, "School shooter may end up in Lawrence," September 26, 2003
- Tim Talley and Jeannie Nuss, Huffington Post, "Oklahoma School Shooting: 1 Dead In Suicide At Stillwater Junior High School," September 26, 2012
- Bruce Smith, Associated Press, "Two Dead in South Carolina High School Shooting," October 12, 1995
- Murderpedia, "James Ellison Rouse," accessed January 8, 2014
- Staff, The Seattle Times, "Tennessee High-School Student Kills Another In Parking Lot," May 20, 1998
- Murderpedia, "Kenneth S. Bartley, Jr.," accessed January 9, 2014
- Kontji Anthony, wmctv.com, "Police investigate shooting inside classroom at Hamilton High," February 4, 2008
- Woody Baird, Associated Press, "Teen charged in Tenn. school shooting," February 11, 2008
- Jason Miles, wmctv.com, "Students shot at outside Memphis high school," August 17, 2012
- Dark Destinations, "Richardson High School, Richardson, TX," accessed January 9, 2014
- Staff, ABC 13, "One dead, 5 hurt in shooting at Worthing HS," March 31, 2011
- Staff, WCJB-TV, "Student Accused of Shooting at Bullies Speaks Out," February 9, 2012
- Erik Ortiz, Daily News, "Texas teen who committed suicide at school posted Facebook warning," October 17, 2013
- Associated Press, Amarillo-Globe News, "News: Teacher, employee shot at high school in Richmond, Va. 6/15/98," June 15, 1998
- Murderpedia, "Evan E. Ramsey," accessed January 6, 2014
- Nancy Bishop, Examiner.com, "School Shootings: a History Part One of a series on Mass Murders in the U.S.," September 23, 2012
- Murderpedia, "Eric Christopher Houston," accessed January 6, 2014
- John Wildermuth, Chronicle Peninsula Bureau, "Teen Fires on Classmates In Palo Alto / He hits boy, 14, then shoots self," February 9, 1996
- Joseph Trevino and Monte Morin, Los Angeles Times, "2 Teenage Girls Shot to Death While Walking to High School," June 9, 1999
- Fred Dickey, UT San Diego, "Killer recounts Santana High shooting," May 10, 2013
- Associated Press, Los Angeles Times, "Teen Failed Twice Before Hanging Self," November 21, 2001
- Sid Garcia, ABC 7, "Oxnard teen to be retried in fatal shooting; hate crime dropped," October 5, 2011
- CBS Los Angeles, "Documentary Explores 2008 Murder Of Gay Teen In Oxnard Classroom," October 7, 2013
- Jill Tucker, SFGate, "3 wounded in shooting outside S.F. high school," June 16, 2009
- Nancy Bishop, Examiner.com, "School Shootings and Mass Murders in the United States: Part Three of a Series," September 23, 2012
- Associated Press, Huffington Post, "Carlsbad School Shooting: Brendan O'Rourke Sane, Jury Says," March 16, 2012
- Judy Lin, Huffington Post, "John Luebbers, School Janitor, Kills Louisiana Schnell Elementary Principal Sam LaCara," February 3, 2011
- Associated Press, Daily News, "Teen shooter who opened fire at Taft Union High School in California to be tried as an adult," January 14, 2013
- Jacob Rayburn and Angela Sasaki, The Fresno Bee, "4 teens arrested for allegedly shooting Edison High teacher," December 24, 2013
- CNN, "Columbine High School Shootings Fast Facts," accessed January 6, 2014
- Associated Press, NBC News, "Details from Colo. school shooting emerge," September 28, 2006
- Jessica Fender, The Denver Post, "Deer Creek Middle School shooter found not guilty by reason of insanity," October 6, 2011
- Associated Press, CBS Denver, "Man Gets Prison Time In Shooting Of Girl In Aurora," November 5, 2012
- Blair Shiff and Robert Garrison, 9News.com, "1 shot, gunman dead at Arapahoe High School," December 14, 2013
- Lisa Kubota, Hawaii News Now, "Student expelled after school shooting in Pearl City," May 24, 2011
- Scott Sonner, The Washinton Post, "Teen Gets House Arrest in Nev. Shooting," 2006
- Bill Hutchinson, Daily News, "Nevada middle school shooting: Teacher killed, two boys wounded by classmate," October 22, 2013
- Associated Press, Los Angeles Times, "Boy Held in Shooting of Girl at New Mexico Middle School," November 20, 1999
- Colleen Curry and Alyssa Newcomb, ABC News, "Assault Charges Filed Against Alleged NM School Shooter," January 15, 2014
- Jennifer Winters and KVAL Web Staff, KVAL.com, "Thurston High School shooting tragedy unfolded 10 years ago," May 20, 2008
- Staff, KOMOnews.com, "Student Critically Injured In Roseburg, Ore. School Shooting," February 23, 2006
- Staff, Portland Tribune, "Student takes his own life at Crook County High School," February 8, 2007
- Staff, The Seattle Times, "History of school shootings in Washington state," December 15, 2012
- Thomas W. Haines, Dave Birkland, Dick Lilly and Jim Simon, The Seattle Times, "Garfield Shooting Spurs Talk Of Metal Detectors," January 13, 1995
- Murderpedia, "Barry Dale Loukaitis," accessed January 7, 2014
- Associated Press, FoxNews.com, "Washington Student Dies After School Shooting," January 4, 2007
- Staff, The Seattle Times, "Teen arrested in fatal Federal Way WA shooting," August 18, 2008
- Kitsap Sun Staff, Kitsap Sun, "Student shot at Armin Jahr Elementary School in Bremerton," February 22, 2012