David W Bowen, welcome to Ballotpedia!
We're glad you're here. Here's how to get started:
1. Watch Ballotpedia's 5-minute overview.
2. Learn more about how you can contribute to our monthly projects.
February's Project of the Month
Recently, President Obama gave his yearly State of the Union address. At Ballotpedia, we collect similar speeches made by many governors: the "State of the State." In Iowa, it is called the "Condition of the State" and in Kentucky, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania and Virginia it is known as "State of the Commonwealth." Whichever name it goes by, these speeches are delivered to the state legislature and fulfill the requirement in most state constitutions that the governor must deliver an annual report to the legislature.
These speeches outline what a governor's priorities are for a particular year, notes some of the struggles their state may have faced in the past year or address some specific national trend.
This month, we are asking for your help in collecting speeches from past years.
The steps are easy
- Find the text of a state of the state address given prior to 2011 and copy the link. For these older addresses, you'll get to do some deeper research in each state's historical archives.
- On another browser tab or new window, open the State of the state addresses page and click the "Edit" tab on the top of the page.
- In the code, scroll down past the 2015 information and find the year you want to add to.
- Add a line for your state and input the link. Using an asterisk in the code creates a bullet point on the wiki. A single set of brackets [ ] creates a link to an external website. Inside the brackets, paste the link, press the space bar, and insert the name of the state you're adding.
- Click "Preview" at the bottom of the page to make sure your changes look good, and then click "Save" and you're done!
Click here to see an example of the wiki-code.
Have a question? Contact us at email@example.com.
3. Find an article you'd like to improve.
4. Start editing!
You can also view tutorials on editing, or contact us.
Welcome to our community! -- Ballotpedia editor
-- 19:30, 10 September 2012 (CDT)
Hello! Thank you for your contributions to Ballotpedia. I have to point out that this page that you edited is not a page that should contain opinions on issues. Rather, this page is a page that contains issues that can be found on the ballot by certain ballot measures throughout the states. We are a non-partisan, neutral website. Although we do post arguments both for and against certain issues on the ballot from PACs, candidates and others, this is not the page to do so. Thank you again for posting your thoughts on these issues, but please refrain from deleting content from this page. For future reference, please do not hesitate to contact me on my talk page. Thank you! Alejandortiz 13:29, 26 September 2012 (CDT)
Hi David. Thank you very much for offering your opinion on List of ballot measures by topic. Unfortunately, I have had to revert your edits because you removed content from the page. If you would like to express your opinion, you are more than welcome to do so on the page's discussion page (link). Please let me know if you have any questions. Regards, BaileyL 18:04, 8 October 2012 (CDT)
This discussion page has been protected from further postings.