Utah Commissioner of Agriculture and Food
|Utah Commissioner of Agriculture and Food|
|Office website:||Official Link|
|2013 FY Budget:||$30,282,400|
|Length of term:||Serves at the pleasure of the Governor|
|Authority:||Utah Code, Title 4, Chapter 2, Part 1|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by Governor|
|Assumed office:||January 5, 2005|
|Other Utah Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Attorney General •Treasurer • Auditor • Superintendent of Education • Agriculture Commissioner • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Commissioner • Labor Commissioner • Public Service Commission|
The department of agriculture is established in Title 4, Chapter 2, Part 1 of the Utah code.
Title 4, Chapter 2, Part 1: Department created
|There is hereby created within state government the Department of Agriculture and Food which is responsible in this state for the administration and enforcement of all laws, services, functions, and consumer programs related to agriculture as assigned to the department by the Legislature.|
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches the constitutional or statutory text that establishes the requirements necessary to qualify for a state executive office. That information for the Utah Commissioner of Agriculture and Food has not yet been added. After extensive research we were unable to identify any relevant information on state official websites. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
In the event of a vacancy in the office, the governor appoints a successor.
The duties of the department are outlined in Title 4, Chapter 2, Part 1 of the Utah code:
- promote the interests and products of agriculture and its allied industries
- promote methods for increasing the production and facilitating the distribution of the agricultural products of the state;
- inquire into the cause of contagious, infectious, and communicable diseases among livestock and the means for their prevention and cure
- encourage experiments designed to determine the best means and methods for the control of diseases among domestic and wild animals
- issue marketing orders for any designated agricultural product
- administer and enforce all laws assigned to the department by the legislature
- establish standards and grades for agricultural products and fix and collect reasonable fees for services performed by the department
- establish operational standards for any establishment that manufactures, processes, produces, distributes, stores, sells, or offers for sale any agricultural product
- Administrative Services
- Analytical Laboratories
- Animal Industry
- Conservation & Resource Management
- Grazing Improvement
- Marketing & Development
- Plant Industry
- Regulatory Services
- Wildlife Services
- See also: Utah state budget and finances
The budget for the Department of Agriculture and Food in Fiscal Year 2013 was $30,282,400.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
According to Title 4, Chapter 2, Part 1 of the Utah code, the governor shall establish the commissioner's salary within the salary range fixed by the Utah Legislature in Title 67, Chapter 22, State Officer Compensation.
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Utah Commissioner of Agriculture and Food has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the terms "Utah Commissioner of Agriculture and Food."
- Some of the stories below may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of Google's news search engine.
Department of Agriculture
350 N. Redwood Road
P.O. Box 146500
Salt Lake City, UT 84114-6500
Phone: (801) 538-7100
Fax: (801) 538-7126
- Utah Department of Agriculture and Food
- UT Ag and Food on Twitter
- UT Department of Agriculture and Food on Facebook
- YouTube channel of the UT Department of Agriculture and Food
- National Association of State Departments of Agriculture
- Utah Department of Agriculture and Food, "LuAnn Adams Named Commissioner of Agriculture and Food," January 29, 2014
- Lexis.com, "Utah Code Ann. § 4-2-3," accessed October 28, 2011
- Lexis.com, "Utah Code Ann. § 4-2-2," accessed October 28, 2011
- Governor's Office of Planning and Budget, "2013 Budget Summary – Tables," accessed April 6, 2013
- Council of State Governments, "SELECTED STATE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICIALS: ANNUAL SALARIES," accessed December 8, 2014
- Council of State Governments, "SELECTED STATE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICIALS: ANNUAL SALARIES," January 29, 2014