Utah House of Representatives District 49
|Utah House of Representatives District 49|
|Current incumbent||Robert Spendlove|
|Race||93% White, 0% Black, 0% American Indian, 3% Asian, 0% Hawaiian or Pacific Islander, 1% Other, 2% Two or more races|
|Ethnicity||96% Not Hispanic, 4% Hispanic|
|Voting age||70% age 18 and over|
|Next election||November 4, 2014|
As of the 2010 census, a total of 27,228 civilians reside within Utah's forty-ninth state house district. Utah's state representatives represent an average of 36,852 residents. After the 2000 Census, each member represented 29,776 residents.
About the office
- A U.S. citizen at the time of filing
- 25 years old at the filing deadline time
- A three-year resident of Utah at the filing deadline time
- A resident for 6 months of the senate district from which elected at the filing deadline time
- No person holding any public office of profit or trust under authority of the United States, or of this State, can be a member of the House of Representatives, provided, that appointments in the State Militia, and the offices of notary public, justice of the peace, United States commissioner, and postmaster of the fourth class, shall not, within the meaning of this section, be considered offices of profit or trust.
- A qualified voter. A qualified voter is someone who is:
- * A U.S. citizen
- * A resident of Utah for at least 30 days prior to the next election
- * At least 18 years old by the next election
- * His or her principal place of residence is in a specific voting precinct in Utah.
- See also: Comparison of state legislative salaries
As of 2013, members of the Utah Legislature are paid $117/day. Legislators receive $96/day for lodging each calendar day, tied to the federal rate. They also receive $61/day for meals.
If there is a vacancy in the house, the Governor is responsible for selecting a replacement. A liaison for the political party that last held the seat must recommend a successor to the Governor. The vacancy must be filled immediately. The person who is selected to the vacant seat serves for the remainder of the unfilled term.
If the vacancy happens after the nominating deadline in an election year, a new candidate must file papers in order to be on the ballot. This is only if the vacancy happens after September 1st and the unfilled term is set to expire at the end of the election. Nominating papers must be filed within 21 days after the vacancy happened.
Elections for the office of Utah House of Representatives consisted of a primary election on June 26, 2012, and a general election on November 6, 2012. Republican incumbent Derek Brown defeated Democrat Mark Quigley in the general election. Both candidates were unopposed in the primary elections.
|Utah House of Representatives, District 49, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Derek Brown Incumbent||61.2%||11,365|
Since 2000, candidates for Utah House of Representatives District 49 have raised a total of $976,853. Candidates who raised money in contributions earned $57,462 on average. All figures come from Follow the Money.
|Campaign contributions, Utah House of Representatives District 49|
- Desert News, "Salt Lake County Republicans fill two seats in special election," January 10, 2014
- Utah.gov, House of Representatives Demographic Profile, accessed October 21, 2013
- State Resources, Utah 2010 Census Statistics, accessed October 21, 2013
- U.S. Census Bureau, "2010 Census Interactive Population Search," accessed February 14, 2014
- U.S. Census Bureau, "States Ranked by Population: 2000," April 2, 2001
- Utah Secretary of State, "Becoming a State Candidate," accessed December 18, 2013
- NCSL.org, "2012 State Legislator Compensation and Per Diem Table," accessed March 18, 2013
- Utah Legislature, "Utah Code," accessed December 18, 2013(Referenced Statutes 20A-1-503 (3) (a)-(b))
- Utah Legislature, "Utah Code," accessed December 18, 2013(Referenced Statutes 20A-1-503 (4)(a))
- Utah Lieutenant Governor Elections, 2012 Candidate Filings, accessed October 21, 2013
- Utah Lieutenant Governor Elections, Election Results, accessed October 21, 2013