Valerie L. Burd
|Valerie L. Burd|
|Illinois House of Representatives, District 50|
|Mayor of United City of Yorkville|
|2007 to 2011|
|Elections and appointments|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|Bachelor's||Northern Illinois University|
Burd served as Yorkville Alderman, Ward 2 from 1998 to 2007, and as Mayor of the United City of Yorkville from 2007 to 2011.
Burd earned her B.S. in Journalism/Political Science from Northern Illinois University. Her professional experience includes working for the Naperville Sun as a newspaper reporter and managing editor for two weekly newspapers, as the marketing director for the Batavia Architecural Firm, in the Public Relations Department at Waubonsee Community College and as the owner of Positive Media Solutions, Inc.
Burd's official campaign website highlights the following issues:
Listen to Constituents
- Excerpt: "I will keep the lines of communication open and I will keep you informed, so that I can represent your concerns on all issues that come before the House of Representatives."
More Job Opportunities
- Excerpt: "I will continue to work with local municipalities, economic development groups, and Chambers of Commerce to bring more jobs back to the area and to address the needs of the business community."
Find Ways to Make the Property Tax System Fairer
- Excerpt: "I will fight to make our property taxes fairer. People in our area pay some of the highest rates not only in Illinois, but in the nation. Lowering property tax burdens would help people on fixed incomes, people who have lost their jobs or are facing high medical bills, and businesses who pay high rental rates. It would encourage economic development in our area."
Fix Illinois’ Financial Problems
- Excerpt: "I will support responsible ways to fund our schools, infrastructure improvements, and pension obligations."
Elections for the office of Illinois House of Representatives will take place in 2014. A primary election took place March 18, 2014. The general election will take place on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was December 2, 2013. Valerie L. Burd ran unopposed in the Democratic primary, while Keith R. Wheeler defeated Beth C. Goncher, Julie Cosimo and William F. Keck in the Republican primary. Burd and Wheeler will face off in the general election.
|Illinois House of Representatives, District 50 Republican Primary, 2014|
|Ketih R. Wheeler||52.5%||5,849|
|Beth C. Goncher||16.6%||1,852|
|William F. Keck||12.9%||1,437|
Burd and her husband, Paul, have five children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Valerie + Burd + Illinois + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Official campaign website, "Resume," accessed February 18, 2014
- Project Vote Smart, "Valerie Burd's Biography," accessed February 18, 2014
- Official campaign website, "Issues," accessed February 18, 2014
- Illinois Secretary of State, "Official candidate list," accessed March 18, 2014
- Illinois Board of Elections, "General Primary Election Official Canvass," April 18, 2014
- Illinois Secretary of State, "Official general election candidate list," accessed March 18, 2014
State of Illinois
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Comptroller | Auditor General | Superintendent of Education | Director of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Director of Natural Resources | Director of Labor | Chairman of Commerce Commission |