Vermont House of Representatives Chittenden-6-7 District
|Vermont House of Representatives Chittenden-6-7 District|
|Current incumbents||Clement Bissonnette|
|Next election||November 8, 2016|
As of the 2010 census, a total of 7,533 civilians reside within Vermont's Chittenden-6-7 state house district. Vermont's state representatives represent an average of 4,172 residents. After the 2000 Census, each member represented 4,059 residents.
About the office
The Vermont Constitution states, "No person shall be elected a Representative or a Senator until the person has resided in this State two years, the last year of which shall be in the legislative district for which the person is elected."
- See also: Comparison of state legislative salaries
As of 2013, members of the Vermont Legislature are paid $604.79/week during session and $112/day for special sessions or interim committee meetings. Legislators who are non-commuters receive $101/day for lodging and $61/day for meals. Commuters receive $61/day for meals/mileage.
If there is a vacancy in the house, the Governor must select a replacement to fill the vacant seat.
The Governor must select a replacement that will serve for the remainder of the unexpired term. There are no deadlines set by statute on when a vacancy has to be filled.
Elections for the office of Vermont House of Representatives took place in 2014. A primary election took place on August 26, 2014. The general election was held on November 4, 2014. The signature-filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 12, 2014. Chittenden-6-7 has two state representatives. Incumbent Clement Bissonnette and Diana Gonzalez defeated Kenneth Atkins in the Democratic primary. Robert Millar ran as a Vermont Progressive Party candidate. Gonzalez was also nominated as a Vermont Progressive candidate. Gonzalez and Bissonnette were victorious in the Democratic primary, securing seats in the general election. In addition to appearing on the general election ballot as a Democratic nominee, she will also appear as the Vermont Progress Party's candidate. Bissonnette and Gonzalez defeated Millar in the general election.
|Vermont House of Representatives Chittenden-6-7 District, General Election, 2014|
|Democratic||Clement J. Bissonnette Incumbent||36.3%||848|
|Vermont Progressive Party||Robert Millar||24.9%||583|
|Vermont House of Representatives, Chittenden-6-7 District Democratic Primary, 2014|
Elections for the office of Vermont House of Representatives consisted of a primary election on August 28, 2012, and a general election on November 6, 2012. Democratic incumbent Clement Bissonnette and Democratic George Cross were unchallenged in the general election. Bissonnette and Cross were unopposed in the Democratic primary election.
- Vermont State Legislature, House Statistics, accessed October 24, 2013
- U.S. Census Bureau, "2010 Census Interactive Population Search," accessed February 14, 2014
- U.S. Census Bureau, "States Ranked by Population: 2000," April 2, 2001
- usconstitution.net, "Vermont Constitution," accessed December 18, 2013(Referenced Section 15)
- NCSL.org, "2012 State Legislator Compensation and Per Diem Table," accessed March 18, 2013
- Vermont State Legislature, "Vermont Statutes," accessed December 18, 2013(Referenced Statute, 2-1-9, Vermont Statutes)
- Vermont Secretary of State, "2014 Primary Election Candidate Listing," accessed June 19, 2014
- Vermont Secretary of State, "2014 Independent Candidates and Minor Party Candidates Nominated by Party Committee," accessed June 19, 2014
- Vermont Secretary of State, "2014 Major Party Nomination Candidate Listing," accessed June 19, 2014
- Vermont Secretary of State, "2014 Candidate Listing," June 13, 2014
- Vermont Secretary of State, "2014 General Election Candidate Listing," accessed October 11, 2014
- Vermont Elections, 2012 General Election Results, accessed October 24, 2013
- Vermont Elections, Official Primary Election Results, accessed October 24, 2013
- Vermont Secretary of State, Major party primary candidate list, accessed October 24, 2013
- Vermont Secretary of State, 2012 draft, independent, and minor party candidate list, accessed October 24, 2013
- followthemoney.org, "Vermont 2012 Candidates," accessed December 5, 2013