Vermont Voting Age Amendment, Proposal 5 (2010)
The measure was sponsored by Senator Jeannette White.
- See also: 2010 ballot measure election results
|Vermont Proposal 5 (2010) (Voting Age)|
Election results via: The Vermont Board of Elections
Text of measure
Jim Condos, Secretary of State 2010 candidate said he supported the proposed measure. In response to concerns that the proposed measure may require some revision, Condos said the legislature could make the procedural changes. The proposal, said Condos, would help encourage youth to participate in the voting process. "The foundation of our democracy begins with our voting. This is about helping to educate our youth, and getting them involved at an early age," he said.
Secretary of State 2010 candidate Jason Gibbs was opposed to the proposed measure and said the measure should return to the legislature for further revision. "I frankly don't think it's significant enough to justify amending our state's most important governing document," said Gibbs. Additionally, Gibbs argued that the legislature had not effectively explained or educated voters about the proposed measure. "Voters have a right to know what will be presented to them on the General Election ballot, and to have time to consider and discuss the ramifications of amending our state’s most influential guiding document," he said.
Path to the ballot
The amendment required approval in two successive sessions of the Vermont General Assembly. In the first legislative session the amendment required a majority vote in the Vermont State House but a 2/3rds vote in the Senate. The second time the amendment was considered, it required only a majority vote.
- Vermont 17 year olds given the green light to vote in primaries
- Vermont voting age requirements are up for a vote this November
- WCAX.com,"Should 17-year-olds vote in Vt. primaries?," September 30, 2010
- Rutland Herald,"Vt. mulls 17-year-olds voting in primary elections," September 23, 2010
- Vermont Weekly Legislative Report,"Proposal 5 (page 3 of 9)," January 29, 2010
- Addison County Independent,"Amendment would allow some 17-year-olds to vote," October 28, 2010
- Vermont State Legislature,"Proposal 5 full text," accessed September 17, 2010
- Vermont Public Radio,"Constitutional Amendment To Be Voted On In November," September 15, 2010
- VTDigger.org,"Gibbs: Amending the Constitution to allow 17-year-olds to vote is a grave matter," September 15, 2010
- Vermont State Legislature,"Detailed Status of Proposal 5," accessed September 17, 2010
State of Vermont
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture, Food & Markets | Secretary of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor | Chairman of Public Service Board |