|North Dakota House of Representatives District 8|
|December 1, 2012 - present|
|December 1, 2016|
|Years in position||3|
|Per diem||Up to $1,569/month for lodging|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 6, 2012|
|Next general||November 8, 2016|
|Bachelor's||North Dakota State University|
|Service/branch||United States Army|
|Years of service||1971-1974|
He has previously served as a City Council and Mayor of Stanton, North Dakota.
Laning earned his B.S. in Mechanical Engineering from North Dakota State University. Laning served in the United States Army from 1971 to 1974.
2015 legislative session
At the beginning of the 2015 legislative session, Laning served on the following committees:
|North Dakota Committee Assignments, 2015|
|• Government and Veterans Affairs|
|• Industry, Business and Labor|
In the 2013-2014 legislative session, Laning served on the following committees:
|North Dakota Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Government and Veterans Affairs|
|• Human Services|
Laning ran in the 2012 election for North Dakota House District 8. Laning and incumbent Jeff Delzer ran unopposed in the Republican primary on June 12. They defeated Casey D. Buchmann and Tanya Stebbins in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
Comprehensive donor information for Laning is available dating back to 2012. Based on available campaign finance records, Laning raised a total of $3,450 during that time period. This information was last updated on May 29, 2013.
|Vernon Laning's Campaign Contribution History|
|2012||North Dakota State House, District 8||$3,450|
|Grand Total Raised||$3,450|
2012Laning won election to the North Dakota State House in 2012. During that election cycle, Laning raised a total of $3,450.
|North Dakota State House 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Vernon Laning's campaign in 2012|
|Lignite Energy Council||$1,000|
|Basin Electric Power Cooperative||$1,000|
|North Dakota Association of Rural Electric Cooperatives||$800|
|North Dakota Petroleum Council||$350|
|Total Raised in 2012||$3,450|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Legislative scorecards are used to evaluate elected public officials based on voting record. Some scorecards are created by political advocacy groups with a focus on specific issues, while others are developed by newspapers and are broad in scope. Scorecards are meant to be used as a tool for voters to have a quick picture of whether their views align with a particular legislator's record.
Because scorecards can be specific to particular issues or general to a state’s legislative term, for example, each report should be considered on its own merits. Each entity that publishes these reports uses different methodologies and definitions for the terms used.
Please see our writing guidelines if you would like to add results from an individual scorecard to this legislator's profile.
- North Dakota Family Alliance: 2013 Scorecard
- Legislators are scored on their votes on bills that were great interest to the family.
- Greater North Dakota Chamber: 2013 Scorecard
- Legislators are scored based on their votes on bills impacting North Dakota's business community.
Laning and his wife, Rose, have four children. They currently reside in Bismarck, North Dakota.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Vernon + Laning + North + Dakota + House"
- All stories may not be relevant to this legislator due to the nature of the search engine.
- North Dakota House of Representatives
- House Committees
- North Dakota Legislative Assembly
- North Dakota state legislative districts
- Profile from the North Dakota House of Representatives
- Profile from Open States
- Biography from Project Vote Smart
- Campaign contributions via Follow the Money: 2012
- Project Vote Smart, "Biography of Rep. Vernon Laning," accessed May 23, 2014
- North Dakota Secretary of State, "2012 Primary Election results," accessed May 13, 2014
- North Dakota Secretary of State, "2012 General Election results," accessed May 13, 2014
- followthemoney.org, "Laning, Vernon," accessed May 29, 2013
State of North Dakota
List of North Dakota ballot measures | Local measures | School bond issues | Ballot measure laws | Initiative laws | History of I&R | History of direct democracy | Campaign Finance Requirements | Recall process |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Director of Game and Fish | Commissioner of Labor | Public Service Commission |