|Board Member, Alief Independent School District, Position 6|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 5, 2013|
|Profession||President, Alief American Federation of Teachers|
Thibideaux is the current president of Alief American Federation of Teachers.
|Alief Independent School District, Position 6, 3-year term, 2013|
|Nonpartisan||Sarah B. Winkler Incumbent||53.4%||3,544|
|Source: Harris County, Texas, "November 2013 General Election Official Results," accessed December 12, 2013|
Thibideaux was not endorsed in this campaign.
Thibideaux reported no contributions or expenditures to the Texas Ethics Commission.
What was at stake?
Four seats were up for election on November 5, 2013. Those elections were for Positions 4, 5, 6 and 7.
Issues that have faced the district in the past have been school funding, student testing and accountability, local governance and control (including vouchers and school tax credits) and federal issues.
About the districtHouston, Texas, which is also a seat of Harris County, Texas. According to the 2010 U.S. Census, Houston is home to 2,099,451 residents. Alief encompasses 36.6 square miles near the southeastern Texas border.
In terms of graduation rate, average household income and poverty rate, Houston underperformed in these areas. The graduation rate was 74.4% compared to 80.4% statewide. The average household income was $44,124 compared to $50,920 in the entire state. Houston had a poverty rate of 21.5%, while the poverty rate for Texas was 17.0%.
|Racial Demographics, 2010|
|Race||Houston city (%)||Texas (%)|
|Hispanic or Latino||43.8||37.6|
|Black or African American||23.7||11.8|
|American Indian and Alaska Native||0.7||0.7|
|Two or More Races||3.3||2.7|
Note: The United States Census Bureau considers "Hispanic or Latino" to be a place of origin, not a race. Therefore, the Census allows citizens to report both their race and that they are from a "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin simultaneously. As a result, the percentages in each column of the racial demographics table will exceed 100 percent. Each column will add up to 100 percent after removing the "Hispanic or Latino" place of origin percentages.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Veronica + Thibideaux + Alief + Independent + School + District"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- [http://4schoolboard.com/veronica-thibideaux.html Bennett - Thibideaux - Brady Community - Accessible - Responsible - Education, "Veronica Thibideaux," accessed November 5, 2013]
- Texas Ethics Commission Search Campaign Finance Reports, accessed December 26, 2013
- November 5, 2013 Alief ISD Trustee Election Accessed August 29, 2013
- In the Community, "Alief ISD Key Communicator Message," accessed October 24, 2013
- Quick Facts Accessed August 19, 2013]
- United States Census Bureau, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed April 21, 2014