The Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts
is an appointed position in the Virginia
state government. The officeholder is responsible for auditing the accounts of every state department, officer, board, commission, institution or other agency handling any state funds.
The current officeholder is Martha Mavredes. She was first appointed to the position effective January 1, 2013. Mavredes succeeded Walter Kucharski, who held the office from 1984 to 2012.
Article 4, Section 18 of the Virginia Constitution established the Auditor of Public Accounts.
Article IV, Section 18:
| An Auditor of Public Accounts shall be elected by the joint vote of the two houses of the General Assembly for the term of four years. His powers and duties shall be prescribed by law.
According to Title 30, Chapter 14, Section 1 of the Code of Virginia, "In the event the office of Auditor of Public Accounts becomes vacant while the General Assembly is not in session, the Joint Legislative Audit and Review Commission shall appoint a successor to serve until thirty days after the commencement of the next session of the General Assembly."
- Acquisition and Contract Management
- Budgeting and Performance Management
- Capital Asset Management
- Data Analysis
- Financial Management
- Higher Education Programs
- Human Services Management
- Information Systems Development
- Information Systems Security
- Judicial Systems
- Reporting and Standards
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
In 2013, the auditor was paid an estimated $167,902. This figure comes from the Council of State Governments.
In 2011, the auditor was paid an estimated $159,907, according to the Council of State Governments.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term Virginia + Auditor
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Virginia Auditor of Public Accounts News Feed
- ↑ Virginia Legislature, "Code of Virginia Title 30, Duties and Powers generally," accessed December 26, 2012
- ↑ Auditor of Public Accounts, "Martha Sedwick Mavredes CPA, Auditor of Public Accounts," accessed February 4, 2013
- ↑ Virginia Legislature, "Code of Virginia," accessed December 26, 2012
- ↑ Council of State Governments, "SELECTED STATE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICIALS: ANNUAL SALARIES," January 31, 2014
- ↑ Council of State Governments, "Table 4.11 Selected state administrative officials: Annual salaries by region," accessed February 1, 2012