Virginia Beach, Virginia
|Virginia Beach, Virginia|
|Last mayoral election:||2012|
|Next mayoral election:||2016|
|Last city council election:||2012|
|Next city council election:||2014|
|City council seats:||11|
|Population in 2013:||448,479|
Hispanic or Latino 7.5%
African American 20.0%
American Indian and Alaska Native alone 0.5%
Two or More 3.9%
|Median household income:||$65,980|
|High school graduation rate:||93.1%|
|College graduation rate:||32.3%|
|Related Virginia Beach offices|
|Virginia Congressional Delegation|
Virginia State Legislature
Virginia state executive offices
Office of the Mayor
The City of Virginia Beach utilizes a Council-Manager system. An elected City Council, which serves as the city's legislative body, appoints an executive called a city manager to oversee the city's day-to-day operations.
The City Council consists of eleven members including the Mayor. Three members and the Mayor are elected at large, while the other seven Council members are elected by the city's seven districts. They all serve four-year, staggered terms.
A full list of City Council members can be found here
The city of Virginia Beach, Virginia will hold elections for city council on November 4, 2014. The filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was March 27, 2014, for party-affiliated candidates and was June 10, 2014, for non-party candidates. The filing deadline for seats where an incumbent has not filed to run for re-election is August 15, 2014. Six council seats are up for election.
Virginia Beach's initiative process follows state law (see Laws governing local ballot measures in Virginia for details) for both charter amendment and ordinances.
- Main article: Virginia government sector lobbying
The City of Virginia Beach spent $80,000 on lobbying in 2014. They filed for two issues relating to the Federal Budget and Appropriations and one issue each for the following: Energy and Nuclear Power; Homeland Security; Marine, Boats and Fisheries; and Taxes.
Most Virginia Beach is part of the Virginia Retirement System (VRS), a multi-employer, defined-benefit pension plan. The city's accrued liabilities for the plan are $1,382,172,898, and it is 91.78% funded, with $13,770,896 in unfunded liabilities. The annual pension cost in 2010 was $46,752,410 for the city and $4,784,471 for the school board.
|Transparency grading process|
- Main article: Evaluation of Virginia county websites
This website was reviewed Feb. 12, 2013.
- Elected Officials
- Contact information for elected officials is posted.
- Administrative officials are listed with contact information.
- Local tax rates are posted.
- Audits are posted.
- Audits are archived to 2006.
- Budgets are posted.
- Budgets are archived to 2006.
- Zoning and Permits
- Public Records
- The city discusses its lobbying efforts but does not give the amount spent on Taxpayer-funded lobbying.
- Official Virginia Beach Website
- City Data - Virginia Beach
- Virginia Beach City Public Schools, Virginia
- Virginia Beach Tourism
- Virginia Beach Convention and Visitors Bureau
- U.S. Census Bureau, "QuickFacts," accessed August 12, 2014
- Virginia Beach, "About the City," accessed December 4, 2011
- Virginia Beach, "History," accessed December 4, 2011
- City of Virginia Beach, "City Council," accessed on August 11, 2014
- Virginia State Board of Elections, "November 4, 2014 Elections Candidacy Requirements For Local Offices," accessed May 15, 2014
- Open Secrets "City of Virginia Beach," accessed on August 15, 2014
- Virginia Beach, "2010 CAFR," accessed December 4, 2011
- Elected Officials, accessed on August 11, 2014
- Meetings, accessed on August 11, 2014
- Archived Meeting Info, accessed on August 11, 2014
- City Officials, accessed on August 11, 2014
- Tax Rates, accessed on August 11, 2014
- Audits, accessed on August 11, 2014
- Bids, accessed on August 11, 2014
- Awarded Bids, accessed on August 11, 2014
- Budget, accessed on August 11, 2014
- Zoning, accessed on August 11, 2014
- Permits, accessed on August 11, 2014
- Public Records, accessed on August 11, 2014
- Virginia Beach, "Intergovernmental Relations," accessed December 4, 2011