Virginia Beach, Virginia
|Virginia Beach, Virginia|
|Last mayoral election:||2012|
|Next mayoral election:||2016|
|Last city council election:||2012|
|Next city council election:||November 4, 2014|
|City council seats:||11|
|2014-15 FY Budget:||$1.8 billion|
|Population in 2013:||448,479|
Hispanic or Latino 7.5%
African American 20.0%
American Indian and Alaska Native alone 0.5%
Two or More 3.9%
|Median household income:||$65,980|
|High school graduation rate:||93.1%|
|College graduation rate:||32.3%|
|Related Virginia Beach offices|
|Virginia Congressional Delegation|
Virginia State Legislature
Virginia state executive offices
- 1 City government
- 2 Elections
- 3 Budget
- 4 Contact information
- 5 Ballot measures
- 6 Lobbying
- 7 Pensions
- 8 Website evaluation
- 9 See Also
- 10 External links
- 11 References
The city of Virginia Beach utilizes a council-manager system. In this form of municipal government, an elected city council, which includes the mayor and serves as the city's primary legislative body, appoints an executive called a city manager to oversee day-to-day municipal operations and implement the council's policy and legislative initiatives.
The city manager is the city's chief executive. The responsibilities of the city manager include overseeing the city's day-to-day operations, planning and implementing the city's operating budget and appointing departmental directors and other senior-level positions.
The mayor is a member of city council. He or she presides over council meetings and official city ceremonies. The mayor also represents the city on the state, national and international levels. Will Sessoms is the current Mayor of Virginia Beach.
The Virginia Beach City Council is the city's primary legislative body. It is responsible for approving and adopting the city budget, levying taxes and making or amending city laws, policies and ordinances.
The city council consists of eleven members including the mayor. Three members and the mayor are elected at large, while the other seven council members are elected by the city's seven districts. They all serve four-year, staggered terms.
A full list of city council members can be found here
Boards and commissions
A series of advisory boards and commissions that are made up of non-elected citizens, whom city council members have appointed and approved, advises the Virginia Beach City Council. The roles of these boards and commissions are to review, debate and comment upon city policies and legislation and to make recommendations to the city council.
For a full list of Virginia Beach's commissions, boards and committees, see here
The city of Virginia Beach, Virginia will hold elections for city council on November 4, 2014. The filing deadline for candidates wishing to run in this election was June 10, 2014. The filing deadline for seats where an incumbent did not file to run for re-election was August 15, 2014.
Six of Virginia Beach's eleven council seats are up for election. These include two at-large seats and the districts of Bayside, Beach, Lynnhaven and Princess Anne.
Virginia Beach's adopted operating budget for fiscal year 2014-15 was $1.8 billion.
Office of the Mayor
City Hall, Building #1
2401 Courthouse Drive
Virginia Beach, VA 23456
Phone: (757) 385-4581
To contact individual council members, see here.
Virginia Beach's initiative process follows state law (see Laws governing local ballot measures in Virginia for details) for both charter amendment and ordinances.
- Main article: Virginia government sector lobbying
In 2013, Virginia Beach spent a total of $160,000 on federal lobbying. The issues for which the city filed, as well as the number of reports, can be seen below.
|4||Fed Budget & Appropriations|
|4||Energy & Nuclear Power|
|4||Marine, Boats & Fisheries|
Most Virginia Beach is part of the Virginia Retirement System (VRS), a multi-employer, defined-benefit pension plan. The city's accrued liabilities for the plan are $1.3 billion, and it is 91.78% funded, with $13.7 million in unfunded liabilities. The annual pension cost in 2010 was $46.7 million for the city and $4.7 million for the school board.
|Transparency grading process|
- Main article: Evaluation of Virginia county websites
This website was reviewed Feb. 12, 2013.
- Elected Officials
- Contact information for elected officials is posted.
- Administrative officials are listed with contact information.
- Local tax rates are posted.
- Audits are posted.
- Audits are archived to 2006.
- Budgets are posted.
- Budgets are archived to 2006.
- Zoning and Permits
- Public Records
- The city discusses its lobbying efforts but does not give the amount spent on Taxpayer-funded lobbying.
- U.S. Census, "QuickFacts," accessed August 12, 2014
- Virginia Beach, "About the City," accessed December 4, 2011
- Virginia Beach, "History," accessed December 4, 2011
- City of Virginia Beach, "City Council," accessed on August 11, 2014
- City of Virginia Beach, "Form of Government," accessed on October 30, 2014
- City of Virginia Beach, "City Manager," accessed on October 30, 2014
- City of Virginia Beach, "Committees," accessed on August 26, 2014
- Virginia State Board of Elections, "November 4, 2014 Elections Candidacy Requirements For Local Offices," accessed May 15, 2014
- City of Virginia Beach, "FY 15 Adopted Operating Budget," accessed on September 19, 2014
- Open Secrets "City of Virginia Beach," accessed on August 15, 2014
- Virginia Beach, "2010 CAFR," accessed December 4, 2011
- City of Virginia Beach, "Elected Officials," accessed on August 11, 2014
- City of Virginia Beach, "Meetings," accessed on August 11, 2014
- City of Virginia Beach, "Archived Meeting Info," accessed on August 11, 2014
- City of Virginia Beach, "City Officials," accessed on August 11, 2014
- City of Virginia Beach, "Tax Rates," accessed on August 11, 2014
- City of Virginia Beach, "Audits," accessed on August 11, 2014
- City of Virginia Beach, "Bids," accessed on August 11, 2014
- City of Virginia Beach, "Awarded Bids," accessed on August 11, 2014
- City of Virginia Beach, "Budget," accessed on August 11, 2014
- City of Virginia Beach, "Zoning," accessed on August 11, 2014
- City of Virginia Beach, "Permits," accessed on August 11, 2014
- City of Virginia Beach, "Public Records," accessed on August 11, 2014
- Virginia Beach, "Intergovernmental Relations," accessed on December 4, 2011