Virginia House of Delegates District 2
|Virginia House of Delegates District 2|
|Current incumbent||Michael Futrell|
|Race||94.7% White, 3.6% Black, 0.6% American Indian, 0.4% Asian, 0.0% Hawaiian or Pacific Islander, 0.6% Other, 0.1% Two or more races|
|Ethnicity||98.7% Not Hispanic, 1.3% Hispanic|
|Voting age||70.7% age 18 and over|
|Next election||November 3, 2015|
As of the 2010 census, a total of 79,491 civilians reside within Virginia's second state house district. Virginia's state delegates represent an average of 80,010 residents. After the 2000 Census, each member represented 70,785 residents.
About the office
- See also: Comparison of state legislative salaries
As of 2013, members of the Virginia House of Delegates are paid $17,640/year. Representatives receive $135/day per diem tied to the federal rate.
If there is a vacancy in the house, then a special election must be conducted to fill the vacant seat. Within 15 days of the vacancy, the governing body of the county or city that represents the seat must petition to a circuit court to hold a special election. All special elections must be held promptly. No special election can be held with less than 60 days remaining in the vacant Senator's term or less than 55 days before a statewide primary or general election.
Elections for the office of Virginia House of Delegates consisted of a primary election on June 11, 2013, and a general election on November 5, 2013. Democrat Michael Futrell defeated Republican incumbent Mark Dudenhefer in the general election. Both candidates were unopposed in the primary elections.
|Virginia House of Delegates, District 2 General Election, 2013|
|Republican||Mark Dudenhefer Incumbent||49.2%||7,966|
Since 2001, candidates for Virginia House of Delegates District 2 have raised a total of $520,939. Candidates who raised money in contributions earned $65,117 on average. All figures come from Follow the Money.
|Campaign contributions, Virginia House of Delegates District 2|
- Commonwealth of Virginia Division of Legislative Services, Redistricting 2010, April 28, 2011
- U.S. Census Bureau, "2010 Census Interactive Population Search," accessed February 14, 2014
- U.S. Census Bureau, "States Ranked by Population: 2000," April 2, 2001
- vakids.org, "Virginia State Legislature For Kids," accessed December 18, 2013
- NCSL.org, "2012 State Legislator Compensation and Per Diem Table," accessed March 18, 2013
- Virginia General Assembly, "Code of Virginia," accessed December 18, 2013(Referenced Statute 24.2-228.1 (A), Code of Virginia)
- Virginia General Assembly, "Code of Virginia," accessed December 18, 2013(Referenced Statute 24.2-682(C), Virginia Code)
- Virginia General Assembly, "Code of Virginia," accessed December 18, 2013(Referenced Statute 24.2-682(A), Virginia Code)
- Virginia State Board of Elections, Unofficial Results - General Election, accessed November 11, 2013
- Virginia State Board of Elections, Official Results - Primary Election, accessed November 11, 2013
State of Virginia
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of Public Accounts | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Secretary of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor and Industry | Chairman of State Corporation Commission |