Virginia House of Delegates District 4
|Virginia House of Delegates District 4|
|Current incumbent||Todd E. Pillion|
|Race||96.7% White, 2.1% Black, 0.4% American Indian, 0.4% Asian, 0.0% Hawaiian or Pacific Islander, 0.4% Other, 0.1% Two or more races|
|Ethnicity||99.0% Not Hispanic, 1.0% Hispanic|
|Voting age||79.8% age 18 and over|
|Next election||November 3, 2015|
As of the 2010 census, a total of 80,446 civilians reside within Virginia's fourth state house district. Virginia's state delegates represent an average of 80,010 residents. After the 2000 Census, each member represented 70,785 residents.
About the office
- See also: Comparison of state legislative salaries
As of 2013, members of the Virginia House of Delegates are paid $17,640/year. Representatives receive $135/day per diem tied to the federal rate.
If there is a vacancy in the house, then a special election must be conducted to fill the vacant seat. Within 15 days of the vacancy, the governing body of the county or city that represents the seat must petition to a circuit court to hold a special election. All special elections must be held promptly. No special election can be held with less than 60 days remaining in the vacant Senator's term or less than 55 days before a statewide primary or general election.
A special election for the position of Virginia House of Delegates District 4 was called for December 9. Candidates were nominated by their party rather than chosen through a primary. The nominating deadline for parties was October 9.
|Virginia House of Delegates, District 4, Special Election, 2014|
|Republican||Todd E. Pillion||66.3%||4,570|
|Democratic||Donnie W. Rife||33.7%||2,327|
Elections for the office of Virginia House of Delegates consisted of a primary election on June 11, 2013, and a general election on November 5, 2013. Republican A. Benton Chafin was unchallenged in the general election. Chafin was unopposed in the Republican primary election.
Since 2001, candidates for Virginia House of Delegates District 4 have raised a total of $100,825. Candidates who raised money in contributions earned $16,804 on average. All figures come from Follow the Money.
|Campaign contributions, Virginia House of Delegates District 4|
- For more information on the parameters the U.S. Census Bureau use, please see our Race and Ethnicity on the United States Census page.
- Commonwealth of Virginia Division of Legislative Services, Redistricting 2010, April 28, 2011
- U.S. Census Bureau, "2010 Census Interactive Population Search," accessed February 14, 2014
- U.S. Census Bureau, "States Ranked by Population: 2000," April 2, 2001
- vakids.org, "Virginia State Legislature For Kids," accessed December 18, 2013
- NCSL.org, "2012 State Legislator Compensation and Per Diem Table," accessed March 18, 2013
- Virginia General Assembly, "Code of Virginia," accessed December 18, 2013(Referenced Statute 24.2-228.1 (A), Code of Virginia)
- Virginia General Assembly, "Code of Virginia," accessed December 18, 2013(Referenced Statute 24.2-682(C), Virginia Code)
- Virginia General Assembly, "Code of Virginia," accessed December 18, 2013(Referenced Statute 24.2-682(A), Virginia Code)
- Virginia Department of Elections, "Official candidate list," accessed October 31, 2014
- Virginia State Board of Elections, "Official election results," accessed December 31, 2014
- Virginia Department of Elections, "Unofficial special election results," accessed August 20, 2014
- TriCities.com, "Special election set to fill 4th District House of Delegates seat in Virginia," September 16, 2014
- Virginia State Board of Elections, Unofficial Results - General Election, accessed November 11, 2013
- Virginia State Board of Elections, Official Results - Primary Election, accessed November 11, 2013
State of Virginia
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of Public Accounts | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Secretary of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor and Industry | Chairman of State Corporation Commission |