Virginia Independent Redistricting Commission Amendment (2016)
|Not on Ballot|
| This measure did not or |
will not appear on a ballot
One Virginia 2021: Virginians for Fair Redistricting supported the measure. The organization was founded by Leigh B. Middleditch, Jr. They initiated a twofold campaign: (1) to convince the public that redistricting reform is needed in Virginia and (2) to lobby the state legislature to pass a constitutional amendment.
- Sen. Bryce E. Reeves (R-17)
- Former Lt. Gov. Bill Bolling (R)
- Former Rep. Shannon Valentine (D-23)
- James E. Ukrop, businessman
- Former Rep. Shannon Valentine (D-23) said, "When districts are drawn for political purposes, the result is often gridlock with very little accountability and a notably few number of elections whose outcome is even in doubt. Voters begin to feel as though they are left out of the process."
Path to the ballot
- See also: Amending the Virginia Constitution
A majority vote was required in two successive sessions of the Virginia General Assembly for the amendment to be placed on the ballot.