Virginia State Senate District 14
|Virginia State Senate District 14|
|Current incumbent||John Cosgrove|
|Race||73.2% White, 19.1% Black, 0.7% American Indian, 5.2% Asian, 0.1% Hawaiian, 1.0% Other, 0.7% Two or More Races|
|Ethnicity||96.2% Not Hispanic, 3.8% Hispanic|
|Voting age||74.7 age 18 and over|
|Next election||November 3, 2015|
As of the 2011 redistricting, a total of 199,604 civilians reside within Virginia's fourteenth state senate district. Virginia state senators represent an average of 200,026 residents. After the 2000 Census, each member represented 176,963 residents.
About the office
- See also: Comparison of state legislative salaries
As of 2013, members of the Virginia State Senate are paid $18,000/year. Senators receive $178/day per diem tied to the federal rate.
If there is a vacancy in the senate, then a special election must be conducted to fill the vacant seat. Within 15 days of the vacancy, the governing body of the county or city that represents the seat must petition to a circuit court to hold a special election. All special elections must be held promptly. No special election can be held with less than 60 days remaining in the vacant Senator's term or less than 55 days before a statewide primary or general election.
John Cosgrove (R) won election in the special election for Virginia State Senate District 56. The seat was vacant following Harry Blevins's (R) retirement on August 5. Cosgrove ran upposed after his opponent, Kerry B. Holmes (D), withdrew prior to the special election, which took place on August 6.
- See also: Virginia State Senate elections, 2011
Elections for the office of Virginia State Senate consisted of a primary election on August 23, 2011, and a general election on November 8, 2011. Republican incumbent Harry Blevins was unchallenged in the general election. Blevins was unopposed in the Republican primary election.
Since 2003, candidates for Virginia State Senate District 14 have raised a total of $258,791. Candidates who raised money in contributions earned $64,698 on average. All figures come from Follow the Money.
|Campaign contributions, Virginia State Senate District 14|
- hamptonroads.com, "Sen. Harry Blevins to retire from General Assembly," April 4, 2013
- Commonwealth of Virginia Division of Legislative Services, Redistricting 2010, April 28, 2011
- U.S. Census Bureau, "2010 Census Interactive Population Search," accessed February 14, 2014
- Population in 2000 of the American states, Accessed November 27, 2013
- vakids.org, "Virginia State Legislature For Kids," accessed December 18, 2013
- NCSL.org, "2012 State Legislator Compensation and Per Diem Table," accessed March 18, 2013
- Virginia General Assembly, "Code of Virginia," accessed December 18, 2013(Referenced Statute 24.2-228.1 (A), Code of Virginia)
- Virgina General Assembly, "Code of Virginia," accessed December 18, 2013(Referenced Statute 24.2-682(C), Virginia Code)
- Virgina General Assembly, "Code of Virginia," accessed December 18, 2013(Referenced Statute 24.2-682(A), Virginia Code)
- washingtonpost.com, "Special election set Aug. 6 for seat being vacated by Chesapeake state senator," April 18, 2013
- sbe.virginia.gov, "List of Candidates," accessed June 20, 2013
- thestate.com, "Cosgrove wins Va. Senate seat in special election," August 6, 2013
- Virginia State Board of Elections, Official Democratic Primary Results, accessed October 28, 2013
- Virginia State Board of Elections, Official Republican Primary Results, accessed October 28, 2013
- Virginia State Board of Elections, Official General Election Results, accessed October 28, 2013