Virginia State Senate District 29
|Virginia State Senate District 29|
|Current incumbent||Charles Colgan|
|Race||51.2% White, 23.6% Black, 1.0% American Indian, 8.4% Asian, 0.2% Hawaiian, 14.2% Other, 1.4% Two or More Races|
|Ethnicity||72.1% Not Hispanic, 27.9% Hispanic|
|Voting age||71.1% age 18 and over|
|Next election||November 3, 2015|
As of the 2011 redistricting, a total of 203,988 civilians reside within Virginia's twenty-ninth state senate district. Virginia state senators represent an average of 200,026 residents. After the 2000 Census, each member represented 176,963 residents.
About the office
- See also: Comparison of state legislative salaries
As of 2013, members of the Virginia State Senate are paid $18,000/year. Senators receive $178/day per diem tied to the federal rate.
If there is a vacancy in the senate, then a special election must be conducted to fill the vacant seat. Within 15 days of the vacancy, the governing body of the county or city that represents the seat must petition to a circuit court to hold a special election. All special elections must be held promptly. No special election can be held with less than 60 days remaining in the vacant Senator's term or less than 55 days before a statewide primary or general election.
- See also: Virginia State Senate elections, 2011
Elections for the office of Virginia State Senate consisted of a primary election on August 23, 2011, and a general election on November 8, 2011. Democratic incumbent Charles Colgan defeated Republican Tom Gordy in the general election. Colgan was unopposed in the Democratic primary election. Gordy was unopposed in the Gordy was unopposed in the Republican primary election.
|Virginia State Senate, District 29 General Election, 2011|
|Democratic||Charles Colgan Incumbent||55.1%||13,365|
Since 2003, candidates for Virginia State Senate District 29 have raised a total of $2,494,154. Candidates who raised money in contributions earned $415,692 on average. All figures come from Follow the Money.
|Campaign contributions, Virginia State Senate District 29|
- Commonwealth of Virginia Division of Legislative Services, Redistricting 2010, April 28, 2011
- U.S. Census Bureau, "2010 Census Interactive Population Search," accessed February 14, 2014
- Population in 2000 of the American states, Accessed November 27, 2013
- vakids.org, "Virginia State Legislature For Kids," accessed December 18, 2013
- NCSL.org, "2012 State Legislator Compensation and Per Diem Table," accessed March 18, 2013
- Virginia General Assembly, "Code of Virginia," accessed December 18, 2013(Referenced Statute 24.2-228.1 (A), Code of Virginia)
- Virgina General Assembly, "Code of Virginia," accessed December 18, 2013(Referenced Statute 24.2-682(C), Virginia Code)
- Virgina General Assembly, "Code of Virginia," accessed December 18, 2013(Referenced Statute 24.2-682(A), Virginia Code)
- Virginia State Board of Elections, Official Democratic Primary Results, accessed October 29, 2013
- Virginia State Board of Elections, Official Republican Primary Results, accessed October 29, 2013
- Virginia State Board of Elections, Official General Election Results, accessed October 29, 2013