For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Virginia State Senate District 35
|Virginia State Senate District 35|
|Current incumbent||Dick Saslaw|
|Race||54.4% White, 12.8% Black, 0.8% American Indian, 17.8% Asian, 0.1% Hawaiian, 13.1% Other, 1.1% Two or More Races|
|Ethnicity||73.6% Not Hispanic, 26.4% Hispanic|
|Voting age||78.4% age 18 and over|
|Next election||November 3, 2015|
As of the 2011 redistricting, a total of 196,251 civilians reside within Virginia's thirty-fifth state senate district. Virginia state senators represent an average of 200,026 residents. After the 2000 Census, each member represented 176,963 residents.
About the office
- See also: Comparison of state legislative salaries
As of 2013, members of the Virginia State Senate are paid $18,000/year. Senators receive $178/day per diem tied to the federal rate.
If there is a vacancy in the senate, then a special election must be conducted to fill the vacant seat. Within 15 days of the vacancy, the governing body of the county or city that represents the seat must petition to a circuit court to hold a special election. All special elections must be held promptly. No special election can be held with less than 60 days remaining in the vacant Senator's term or less than 55 days before a statewide primary or general election.
- See also: Virginia State Senate elections, 2011
Elections for the office of Virginia State Senate consisted of a primary election on August 23, 2011, and a general election on November 8, 2011. Democratic incumbent Dick Saslaw defeated Republican Robert Sarvis and Independent candidate Katherine Ann Pettigrew in the general election. Saslaw was unopposed in the Democratic primary election. Sarvis was unopposed in the Republican primary election.
|Virginia State Senate, District 35 General Election, 2011|
|Democratic||Dick Saslaw Incumbent||61.7%||15,905|
|Independent||Katherine Ann Pettigrew||2.3%||591|
Since 2003, candidates for Virginia State Senate District 35 have raised a total of $2,291,253. Candidates who raised money in contributions earned $572,813 on average. All figures come from Follow the Money.
|Campaign contributions, Virginia State Senate District 35|
- For more information on the parameters the U.S. Census Bureau use, please see our Race and Ethnicity on the United States Census page.
- Commonwealth of Virginia Division of Legislative Services, Redistricting 2010, April 28, 2011
- U.S. Census Bureau, "2010 Census Interactive Population Search," accessed February 14, 2014
- U.S. Census Bureau, "States Ranked by Population: 2000," April 2, 2001
- vakids.org, "Virginia State Legislature For Kids," accessed December 18, 2013
- NCSL.org, "2012 State Legislator Compensation and Per Diem Table," accessed March 18, 2013
- Virginia General Assembly, "Code of Virginia," accessed December 18, 2013(Referenced Statute 24.2-228.1 (A), Code of Virginia)
- Virginia General Assembly, "Code of Virginia," accessed December 18, 2013(Referenced Statute 24.2-682(C), Virginia Code)
- Virginia General Assembly, "Code of Virginia," accessed December 18, 2013(Referenced Statute 24.2-682(A), Virginia Code)
- Virginia State Board of Elections, Official Democratic Primary Results, accessed October 29, 2013
- Virginia State Board of Elections, Official Republican Primary Results, accessed October 29, 2013
- Virginia State Board of Elections, Official General Election Results, accessed October 29, 2013