|Office website:||Official Link|
|2012 FY Budget:||$18,549,030|
|Length of term:||Serves at the pleasure of the Governor|
|Authority:||Virginia Code, Title 2.2, Chapter 18, Section 1|
|Selection Method:||Appointed by Governor|
|Assumed office:||January 1, 2009|
|Other Virginia Executive Offices|
|Governor • Lieutenant Governor • Secretary of State • Attorney General • Treasurer • Auditor • Superintendent of Education • Agriculture Commissioner • Insurance Commissioner • Natural Resources Commissioner • Labor Commissioner • Public Service Commission|
The current officeholder is Manju Ganeriwala. She was first appointed to the statewide office by former Governor Tim Kaine, effective January 1, 2009. Ganeriwala was reappointed by Gov. Bob McDonnell after he was elected governor in 2010.
The office of Treasurer is established in Title 2.2, Chapter 18 of the Code of Virginia:
Title 2.2, Chapter 18, Section 1:
|A. There is created a Department of the Treasury ("the Department"), which shall be under the direct control and supervision of the State Treasurer. The State Treasurer shall be appointed by the Governor to serve at his pleasure or until a successor is appointed and qualified.|
There are no specific qualifications for this office.
In the event of a vacancy in the office, the governor appoints a new officeholder.
The Virginia Treasurer serves as the chief banking officer in the commonwealth. In addition to providing the commonwealth and its agencies with both routine and specialized banking services, they are responsible for:
- managing Virginia's investment portfolio
- issuing bonds
- managing the commonwealth's debt
The specific duties of the office are outlined, in detail, in Title 2.2, Chapter 18 of the Code of Virginia].
- Unclaimed property
- Cash management & investments
- Financing programs
- Risk management
- See also: Virginia state budget and finances
The budget for the Department of the Treasury in Fiscal Year 2012 was $18,549,030.
- See also: Compensation of state executive officers
Note: Ballotpedia's state executive officials project researches state official websites for chronological lists of historical officeholders. That information for the Virginia Treasurer has not yet been added because the information was unavailable on the relevant state official websites, or we are currently in the process of formatting the list for this office. If you have any additional information about this office for inclusion on this section and/or page, please email us.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Virginia + State + Treasurer
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Commonwealth of Virginia
Department of the Treasury
James Monroe Bldg, 3rd Fl.
101 N. 14th Street
Richmond, VA 23219
- Phone: (804) 225-2142
- Fax: (804) 225-3187
- Virginia Department of the Treasury, "Welcome to the Treasury," accessed February 4, 2013
- Virginia Department of the Treasury, "Manju Ganeriwala--Treasurer of the Commonwealth of Virginia," accessed February 4, 2013
- Code of Virginia, "Title 2.2, Chapter 18, Section 1: Department of the Treasury; State Treasurer," accessed February 8, 2012
- Virginia Treasury, "Treasurer of the commonwealth," accessed February 8, 2012
- Virginia Budget Appropriations Database, "Final Budget for the 2010-2012 Biennium," accessed April 5, 2013
- Council of State Governments, "SELECTED STATE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICIALS: ANNUAL SALARIES," accessed December 8, 2014
- Council of State Governments, "SELECTED STATE ADMINISTRATIVE OFFICIALS: ANNUAL SALARIES," January 31, 2014
- Council of State Governments, "Table 4.11 Selected state administrative officials: Annual salaries by region," accessed February 1, 2012