Counties in Virginia
Types of local government
Local government in Virginia consists of:
- 95 counties, of which 3 have charters.
- 229 incorporated cities and towns, all of which operate under a state granted charter.
- In addition, there are 172 special districts and 1 independent school district.
Initiative process availability
The initiative process is available in the 4 of the 229 Virginia charter municipalities which have exercised their home rule authority to institute such a process. They are Hampton, Lynchburg, Norfolk, and Portsmouth
County website evaluations
- See also: Evaluation of Virginia county websites
As of 2009:
- 35 counties posted their county budgets online.
- 42 counties included information on their websites about public government meetings.
- 74 included information about the county's elected officials.
- 74 included information about the county's administrative officials.
- 77 counties gave information about permits and zoning in the county.
- 38 of the counties put information on their websites about external audits.
- 13 counties gave information about their contracts with county vendors.
- 19 county websites disclosed whether the county belonged to any government sector lobbying associations.
- Six counties provided information on how to request public records using the Virginia Freedom of Information Act.
- 66 county websites provided some information about county taxes.
List of counties
- National Association of Counties, "County Seats," accessed September 19, 2013
- The U.S. Census Bureau's 2012 study of local governments
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- Virginia cities with initiative and referendum
State of Virginia
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Auditor of Public Accounts | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Secretary of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor and Industry | Chairman of State Corporation Commission |