For status updates, visit lucyburns.org.
Ballotpedia's coverage of elections held on March 3, 2015, was limited. Select races were covered live, and all results will be added once the merger is complete.
Counties in Virginia
Types of local government
Local government in Virginia consists of:
- 95 counties, of which 3 have charters.
- 229 incorporated cities and towns, all of which operate under a state granted charter.
- In addition, there are 172 special districts and 1 independent school district.
Initiative process availability
The initiative process is available in the 4 of the 229 Virginia charter municipalities which have exercised their home rule authority to institute such a process. They are Hampton, Lynchburg, Norfolk, and Portsmouth
County website evaluations
- See also: Evaluation of Virginia county websites
As of 2009:
- 35 counties posted their county budgets online.
- 42 counties included information on their websites about public government meetings.
- 74 included information about the county's elected officials.
- 74 included information about the county's administrative officials.
- 77 counties gave information about permits and zoning in the county.
- 38 of the counties put information on their websites about external audits.
- 13 counties gave information about their contracts with county vendors.
- 19 county websites disclosed whether the county belonged to any government sector lobbying associations.
- Six counties provided information on how to request public records using the Virginia Freedom of Information Act.
- 66 county websites provided some information about county taxes.
List of counties
- National Association of Counties, "County Seats," accessed September 19, 2013
- The U.S. Census Bureau's 2012 study of local governments
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- Virginia cities with initiative and referendum