|Idaho House of Representatives District 2A|
|December 1, 2014|
|Years in position||4|
|Per diem||$122/day outside Boise, $49/day otherwise|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 2, 2010|
|Next general||November 4, 2014|
|J.D.||Western State University College of Law|
|Birthday||October 22, 1951|
|Place of birth||Bexar County, TX|
Barbieri earned his B.S. from the University of California at Santa Cruz and his J.D. from Western State University. His professional experience includes working as a partner in the firm of Barbieri & Barbieri, specializing in condominium and personal injury law.
At the beginning of the 2013 legislative session, Barbieri served on the following committees:
|Idaho Committee Assignments, 2013|
|• Local Government|
|• State Affairs|
In the 2011-2012 legislative session, Barbieri served on these committees:
|Idaho Committee Assignments, 2011|
|• Local Government|
|• Revenue and Taxation|
Barbieri's website highlighted the following campaign themes:
- RIGHT TO LIFE
- Excerpt: "By definition, our posterity requires that we protect the innocent. Abortion, like murder, should be a crime."
- ALIEN INVASION
- Excerpt: "The effect of this invasion is huge, and the solution to this issue rests in the term ‘illegal’ alien. The moment an illegal immigrant hits the system, be it the hospital, a traffic stop, or a schoolhouse, that person should be deported. Since we cannot now trust the Federal Government to protect the rights of its citizens, Idaho must act without Federal assistance."
- PRIVATE PROPERTY
- Excerpt: "Without private ownership and personal control of property, there is no security in one’s person. Private property is an essential part of the Liberty acknowledged as God given and self-evident in our Declaration of Independence."
- GUN CONTROL
- Excerpt: "Our gun rights are not negotiable. Idahoans must defend our right to keep and bear arms."
- PUBLIC SCHOOLS
- Excerpt: "The institution of public schools hold an important place in educating the secular in our society. The budget of the schools, however, cannot be unlimited. I support the recently passed legislation requiring school districts of more than 350 students to post their expenditures on-line for all to see. One more thing: If you accept Jesus Christ as Lord and God, then pull your kids out of that Godless institution."
Due to redistricting, Barbieri is ran for re-election in District 2A. He defeated Mark D Fisher in the May 15 Republican primary and defeated Democratic candidate Cheryl Stransky in the general election which took place on November 6, 2012.
|Idaho House of Representatives, District 2A, General Election, 2012|
|Republican||Vito Barbieri Incumbent||65.7%||14,142|
|Idaho House of Representatives District 2A Republican Primary, 2012|
|Mark D. Fisher||43%||2,373|
|Idaho House of Representatives, District 3A (2010)|
|Vito Barbieri (R)||12,168||100.0%|
Campaign donor information is not yet available for this year.
In 2010, a year in which Barbieri was up for re-election, he collected $12,186 in donations.
His largest contributors in 2010 were:
|Idaho House of Representatives 2010 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Vito Barbieri's campaign in 2010|
|Idaho Association For Good Government||$1,500|
|North Idahoans For Liberty||$999|
|Hart, Philip L||$800|
|Winning For Idaho||$750|
|Coeur D Alene Tribe||$500|
|Total Raised in 2010||$12,186|
Idaho Freedom Index
The Idaho Freedom Foundation, an Idaho-based, nonprofit educational research institute, released its "Idaho Freedom Index" in 2013. The index intended to show how Idaho legislators voted on the principles the Foundation seeks to promote. It measured each state legislator based on two tiers, which include whether legislators voted for or against bills that would create or eliminate government agencies, programs, and regulations, and bills that would impact the free market in a positive or negative way. Scores ranged from the highest possible score for members of the state Senate (194 points) and for members of the state House (180 points). A higher score indicated that the legislator voted more in favor of the values supported by the Foundation. Barbieri received a score of 92 points in the 2013 index, ranking 12th out of 70 members of the Idaho House of Representatives that were evaluated for the study.
Barbieri and his wife, Joy, have three children.
This section displays the most recent stories in a google news search for the term Vito + Barbieri + Idaho + Legislature
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- Campaign Website
- Campaign Facebook page
- Campaign Twitter account
- House website
- Project Vote Smart biography
- Project Vote Smart legislative profile
- Campaign contributions: 2012, 2010
- Vito Barbieri, "Issues," accessed October 5, 2012
- Idaho Statesman, "Otter to pitch for Romney Monday in North Idaho; Paul dribbles out endorsements," March 4, 2012
- Office of the Idaho Secretary of State "List of All Candidate Declarations for 2012," Accessed March 26, 2012
- Idaho Secretary of State Election Division, "May 15, 2012 Primary Election Results," accessed 4 July 2012
- Idaho Secretary of State – Elections Division, “November 6, 2012 General Election Results,” accessed December 27, 2012
- Idaho Secretary of State - 2010 General election results
- 2010 campaign contributions
- Idaho Freedom Foundation "2013 Freedom Index," accessed August 19, 2013
Shannon McMillan (R)
|Idaho House of Representatives District 2A
| Succeeded by|
|Idaho House of Representatives District 3A
| Succeeded by|
Ron Mendive (R)