Voters to decide Senate special election in New Jersey
In June, Gov. Chris Christie chose to appoint Attorney General Jeff Chiesa to fill the vacant seat. Chiesa, who has not expressed interest in becoming a career senator, will serve in the Senate until after the special election.
Gov. Chris Christie announced in July 2013 that counties will be reimbursed for the additional costs of holding the special elections in 2013. The Office of Legislative Services estimated the cost for renting polling places, transporting voting machines, printing and mailing ballots and hiring additional staff would be close to $24 million.
The winner of tomorrow's general election will serve the remainder of Lautenberg’s term that expires in January 2015.. The winner will then face voters again in 2014 for a full six-year term.
Democrats are heavily favored to retain the seat, as New Jersey has not elected a Republican to the U.S. Senate in 40 years. A win for Booker in the special election would make him the country’s only elected black senator currently serving and would shift the balance of power in the Senate to a 55-45 advantage for Democrats, meaning Republicans would need to win six seats in next year’s midterm elections to gain control of the Senate.
- United States Senate special election in New Jersey, 2013
- New Jersey elections, 2013
- United States Senate
- U.S. Senate delegation from New Jersey
- Special elections to the 113th United States Congress (2013-2014)
- State Poll Opening and Closing Times (2013)
- New Jersey Division of Elections
- New Jersey 2013 Election Information
- Writ of Election
- Important dates for candidates
- Important dates for voters
- Official list of primary election candidates
- NY Times, "Cory Booker, Newark’s Mayor, Handily Wins New Jersey Senate Primary," accessed October 13, 2013
- NBC Politics, "Cory Booker wins Democratic primary in New Jersey," accessed October 13, 2013
- Daily Princetonian, "Aug. 13 Senate primary requires different campaign strategy, sets stage for October special election," accessed October 11, 2013
- State of New Jersey, "Memorandum from Governor Christie," accessed October 7, 2013
- WNYC, "Special Election Will Cost NJ Taxpayers - But How Much?," accessed October 7, 2013
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- New Jersey Elections Division, "Official General Election Candidates," accessed October 14, 2013
- NJ.com, "Booker raises 8 times more cash than Lonegan in U.S. Senate race," accessed October 14, 2013
- CBS News, "Cory Booker fends off Democratic challengers in N.J. debate" accessed October 6, 2013
- LA Times, "Cory Booker wins New Jersey's Democratic primary for Senate," accessed October 13, 2013