Voting in Idaho
Voting in 2014 Primaries
Ballot access for major and minor party candidates
Absentee voting • Early voting
Open Primary • Closed Primary • Blanket Primary
Online voter registration in the 50 states
To vote in Idaho, you must meet the following requirements:
- A Citizen of the United States
- 18 years of age, or older
- A resident in the state and in the county for thirty (30) days prior to Election Day
- Registered as required by law
When and where
Registration must be completed 25 days prior to the election you wish to vote in. You may print off and fill out a form or register in person at your county clerk.
An ID is required to register to vote.
As of March 2014, Idaho is one of the 35 states that have not implemented online voter registration.
Voting on election day
An ID is required to vote on election day. The following are acceptable forms of identification:
- An Idaho driver’s license or photo Identification Card.
- A U.S. passport or Federal photo identification card.
- A tribal photo identification card.
- A current student photo ID, issued by an Idaho high school or post secondary education institution.
- See also: State Poll Opening and Closing Times
- See also: Absentee voting
All voters are eligible to vote absentee in Idaho. There are no special eligibility requirements for voting absentee.
To vote absentee, an absentee ballot application must be received by the election office at least six days prior to the election. A returned absentee ballot must then be received by the elections office by 8 p.m. on election day.
Military and overseas voting
For full details, visit the Federal Voting Assistance Program here.
- See also: Early voting
Idaho is one of 34 states that has early voting with no specific requirements as to who can vote early. Early voting begins as soon as ballots become available and ends at 5 p.m. the Friday before election day.
- Voter guide
- Voter ID info
- Idaho Secretary of State - Elections, Campaign Disclosure and Lobbyists "2014 Idaho Primary and General Election Calendar," accessed January 3, 2014
- Long Distance Voter, "Idaho Absentee Ballot Guide," accessed December 18, 2013
- Long Distance Voter, "Early Voting Rules: Idaho," accessed December 18, 2013