Voting in Iowa
Energy • Environment • Fracking • Public education • School choice • Public pensions • State budget • Taxes • Voting • Ballot access • Redistricting
| Election dates |
| State poll times (2014) |
| Voting in the 2014 primary elections |
| Voting in the 2014 general elections |
|Voting information by state|
To vote in Iowa, you must meet the following requirements:
- A U.S. citizen
- A Iowa resident
- At least 17 1/2 years old (must be 18 years old by Election Day to vote)
In addition, you cannot:
- Be a convicted felon (unless your voting rights have been restored)
- Be judged mentally incompetent to vote by a court
- Claim the right to vote in any other place
When and where
The deadline for registration is 10 days prior to the election. You may register by filling out and mailing a form or in person. Registration is allowed on Election Day as well. A proof of ID is required in order to register.
As of December 2014, Iowa is one of the 35 states that have not implemented online voter registration.
Voting on election day
No photo ID is required to vote.
- See also: State Poll Opening and Closing Times
- See also: Absentee voting
All voters are eligible to vote absentee in Iowa. There are no special eligibility requirements for voting absentee.
To vote absentee, an absentee ballot application must be received by the election office by 5 p.m. the Friday before the election. A returned absentee ballot must then be postmarked the day before election day and received by noon on the Monday following the election.
Military and overseas voting
For full details, visit the Federal Voting Assistance Program here.
- See also: Early voting
Iowa is one of 34 states that has early voting with no specific requirements as to who can vote early. Early voting begins as soon as ballots are made available and ends on the day prior to election day, unless the polls open at noon, then early voting would occur from 8 a.m. until 11 a.m. on election day as well.
- Iowa Secretary of State Website, "Voter Registration FAQ," accessed January 3, 2014
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Voter Registration," accessed June 10, 2014
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Iowa Voter Identification Requirements," accessed June 10, 2014
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Find Your Polling Place," accessed January 3, 2014
- Iowa Secretary of State Website, "Absentee Voting by Mail," accessed December 19, 2013
- Iowa Secretary of State Website, "Absentee Voting in Person," accessed December 19, 2013