Voting in Kentucky
Energy • Environment • Fracking • Public education • School choice • Higher education • Public pensions • State budget • Taxes • Voting • Ballot access • Redistricting
|Election policy on Policypedia|
| State poll times (2015) |
| Voting in the 2015 primary elections |
| Voting in the 2015 general elections |
|Voting information by state|
For full information about voting in Kentucky, contact your state election agency.
In order to vote in Kentucky, you must:
- be a U.S. citizen
- be a Kentucky resident "for at least 28 days before Election Day"
- be at least "18 years old by the date of the next general election"
- not be a convicted felon who has not had civil rights restored
- not have been judged "mentally incompetent" to vote by a court
- not claim "the right to vote anywhere outside Kentucky"
When and where
Registration must be completed 28 days prior to the election. Registration can be completed by submitting a form or in one of the following locations:
—Kentucky Board of Elections
As of January 2015, Kentucky is one of the 30 states that have not implemented full online voter registration.
Voting on Election Day
Electors are required to produce identification, though it does not need to feature a photograph. Election officers can confirm identity either by personal acquaintance or via a document.
- See also: State Poll Opening and Closing Times
Kentucky is split between Eastern and Central time zones.
- See also: Absentee voting
A voter in Kentucky may cast an absentee ballot if he or she is one of the following:
—Kentucky State Board of Elections
To vote absentee, a request must be received at least seven days prior to the election. The ballot must then be returned by 6:00 p.m. on Election Day.
Military and overseas voting
For full details regarding military and overseas voting, visit the Federal Voting Assistance Program.
- See also: Early voting
Kentucky is one of 14 states that do not permit early voting in any form.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Kentucky + voting "
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Elections in Kentucky
- Kentucky elections, 2016
- Kentucky elections, 2015
- Kentucky elections, 2014
- Kentucky elections, 2013
- Kentucky elections, 2012
- University of Minnesota Humphrey School of Public Affairs - Smart Politics, "Which States Have the Longest and Shortest Election Day Voting Hours?" July 10, 2014
- Kentucky Board of Elections, "Voter Information Guide," accessed January 22, 2015
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Kentucky State Board of Elections, "Absentee Voter Information," accessed December 19, 2013
State of Kentucky
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | State Treasurer | Auditor of Public Accounts | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Natural Resources | Secretary of Labor Cabinet | Chairman of Public Services |