Voting in Kentucky
Energy • Environment • Fracking • Public education • Higher education • School choice • Public pensions • State budget and finances • Taxes • Voting • Ballot access • Redistricting
|Election policy on Policypedia|
| State poll times (2015) |
| Voting in the 2015 primary elections |
| Voting in the 2015 general elections |
|Voter identification laws by state|
|Voting information by state|
For full information about voting in Kentucky, contact your state election agency.
In order to vote in Kentucky, you must:
- be a U.S. citizen
- be a Kentucky resident "for at least 28 days before Election Day"
- be at least "18 years old by the date of the next general election"
- not be a convicted felon who has not had civil rights restored
- not have been judged "mentally incompetent" to vote by a court
- not claim "the right to vote anywhere outside Kentucky"
When and where
Registration must be completed 28 days prior to the election. Registration can be completed by submitting a form or in one of the following locations:
—Kentucky Board of Elections
As of February 2015, Kentucky is one of 30 states that have not implemented full online voter registration.
Voting on Election Day
- See also: Voter identification laws by state
Voters are required to present identification before voting. Valid identification includes photo and non-photo identification. Election officers can also confirm the identity of a voter by personal acquaintance.
- See also: State Poll Opening and Closing Times
Kentucky is split between Eastern and Central time zones.
- See also: Absentee voting
A voter in Kentucky may cast an absentee ballot if he or she is one of the following:
—Kentucky State Board of Elections
To vote absentee, a request must be received at least seven days prior to the election. The ballot must then be returned by 6:00 p.m. on Election Day.
Military and overseas voting
For full details regarding military and overseas voting, visit the Federal Voting Assistance Program.
- See also: Early voting
Kentucky is one of 14 states that do not permit early voting in any form.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Kentucky + voting "
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Elections in Kentucky
- Kentucky elections, 2016
- Kentucky elections, 2015
- Kentucky elections, 2014
- Kentucky elections, 2013
- Kentucky elections, 2012
- University of Minnesota Humphrey School of Public Affairs - Smart Politics, "Which States Have the Longest and Shortest Election Day Voting Hours?" July 10, 2014
- Kentucky Board of Elections, "Voter Information Guide," accessed January 22, 2015
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Kentucky State Board of Elections, "Voter Information Guide," accessed March 12, 2014
- Kentucky State Board of Elections, "Absentee Voter Information," accessed December 19, 2013
State of Kentucky
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | State Treasurer | Auditor of Public Accounts | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Natural Resources | Secretary of Labor Cabinet | Chairman of Public Services |