Voting in Michigan
Voting in 2014 Primaries
Ballot access for major and minor party candidates
Absentee voting • Early voting
Open Primary • Closed Primary • Blanket Primary
Online voter registration in the 50 states
To vote in Michigan, you must meet the following requirements:
- a U.S. citizen;
- at least 18 years of age by election day;
- a resident of Michigan and the city or township where you are applying to register to vote.
When and where
Voters must register at least 28 days prior to an election. You can register to vote by mail, at the county, city, or township clerk's office, or by visiting any Secretary of State branch office.
As of April 2014, Michigan is one of the 35 states that have not implemented online voter registration. Michigan had a bill pending in the 2013 legislative session which would authorize online voter registration. SB 28 was introduced to the Michigan Senate on January 16, 2013.
Voting on election day
Each voter must show a photo ID. Your photo ID does not need to have your address on it. Voters without photo ID may sign an affidavit attesting that he or she is not in possession of photo identification.
- See also: State Poll Opening and Closing Times
- See also: Absentee voting
You are eligible to vote absentee in an election if you cannot make it to the polls on election day for one of the following reasons:
- you are 60 years old or older
- you are unable to vote without assistance at the polls
- you are expecting to be out of town on election day
- you are in jail awaiting arraignment or trial
- you are unable to attend the polls due to religious reasons
- you are appointed to work as an election inspector in a precinct outside of your precinct of residence.
To vote absentee a request must be received by 2 p.m. on the Saturday before the election. The ballot must then be returned by 8 p.m. on election day.
Military and overseas voting
For full details, visit the Federal Voting Assistance Program here.
- See also: Early voting
Michigan is one of seven states that does not have any form of early voting.
- Voter registration info
- Open States, SB 28
- Voter ID laws
- Michigan Department of State Website, "What You Need to Know about Absentee Voting," accessed December 19, 2013
- Michigan Department of State Website, "Frequently Asked Questions," accessed December 19, 2013