Voting in New Jersey
Energy • Environment • Fracking • Public education • School choice • Higher education • Public pensions • State budget • Taxes • Voting • Ballot access • Redistricting
|Election policy on Policypedia|
| State poll times (2015) |
| Voting in the 2015 primary elections |
| Voting in the 2015 general elections |
|Voting information by state|
For full information about voting in New Jersey, contact your state election agency.
To vote in New Jersey, you must be:
—New Jersey Department of State
When and where
The deadline for registration is 21 days prior to the election. A registration application can be downloaded from the state website and submitted by mail or in person to the County Commissioner of Registration or Superintendent of Elections.
As of January 2015, New Jersey is one of the 30 states that have not implemented full online voter registration.
Voting on Election Day
If a voter does not provide valid identification at the time of registration, he or she must show identification at the polling place. Identification includes any valid photo ID or bank statement, car registration, government check or other document.
- See also: State Poll Opening and Closing Times
- See also: Absentee voting
All voters are eligible to vote absentee in New Jersey. There are no special eligibility requirements for voting absentee.
To vote absentee, an absentee ballot application must be received by the county election office at least seven days prior to the election if returned by mail. It can also be submitted in person to the county election office until 3 p.m. on the day before the election. A returned absentee ballot must then be received by the elections office by the time the polls close on Election Day.
Military and overseas voting
For full details regarding military and overseas voting, visit the Federal Voting Assistance Program.
- See also: Early voting
New Jersey allows voters to cast in-person absentee ballots. This allows a voter to fill out a ballot prior to the election and deliver it in person to an election official's office.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "New + Jersey + Voting "
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Elections in New Jersey
- New Jersey elections, 2016
- New Jersey elections, 2015
- New Jersey elections, 2014
- New Jersey elections, 2013
- New Jersey elections, 2012
- New Jersey Department of State, "Voter Registration Information," accessed June 10, 2014
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- New Jersey Department of State, "Voting Information," accessed June 10, 2014
- New Jersey Department of State, "Voter Registration - Frequently Asked Questions," accessed January 3, 2014
- National Conference of State Legislatures Website, "State Primary Election Types," accessed January 6, 2014
- Fair Vote, "Congressional and Presidential Primaries: Open, Closed, Semi-Closed, and 'Top Two,'" accessed January 6, 2014
- Ballotpedia research conducted December 26, 2013, through January 3, 2014, researching and analyzing various state websites and codes.
- New Jersey Department of State, "Vote by Mail Applications," accessed December 16, 2013
- New Jersey Department of State, "Voter Registration - Frequently Asked Questions," accessed December 16, 2013
- National Conference of State Legislatures "Absentee and Early Voting," accessed December 16, 2013
State of New Jersey
|State executive officer||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | Comptroller | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Commissioner of Environmental Protection | Commissioner of Labor and Workforce Development | President of Public Utilities |