Voting in South Dakota
Energy • Environment • Fracking • Public education • School choice • Higher education • Public pensions • State budget • Taxes • Voting • Ballot access • Redistricting
|Election policy on Policypedia|
| State poll times (2015) |
| Voting in the 2015 primary elections |
| Voting in the 2015 general elections |
|Voting information by state|
For full information about voting in South Dakota, contact your state election agency.
To vote in South Dakota, you must:
—South Dakota Secretary of State
When and where
Registration must be completed by 15 days prior to any election. To register to vote, you may submit a form by mail to your local County Auditor or in person at any of the following locations:
—South Dakota Secretary of State
As of January 2015, South Dakota is one of the 30 states that have not implemented full online voter registration.
Voting on Election Day
All voters must show a valid form of photo identification at the polls on Election Day. Approved forms of photo identification include:
If you do not have a photo ID, you can sign a personal identification affidavit.
- See also: State Poll Opening and Closing Times
South Dakota is divided between Central and Mountain time zones.
South Dakota is one of 21 states with a mixed primary system.
- See also: Absentee voting
To vote absentee, an absentee ballot application must be received by the county election official no later than 5 p.m. the day before the election. A returned absentee ballot must then be received by the elections office by close of polls on Election Day.
Military and overseas voting
For full details regarding military and overseas voting, visit the Federal Voting Assistance Program.
- See also: Early voting
South Dakota is one of 34 states that has early voting with no specific requirements as to who can vote early. Completed ballots must be returned to the county election official by close of polls on Election Day.
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "South + Dakota + Voting"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Elections in South Dakota
- South Dakota elections, 2016
- South Dakota elections, 2015
- South Dakota elections, 2014
- South Dakota elections, 2013
- South Dakota elections, 2012
- South Dakota Secretary of State, "Register to Vote," accessed June 10, 2014
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- DMV.org, "Voter Registration in South Dakota," accessed June 10, 2014
- South Dakota Secretary of State, "2014 Election Calendar," accessed January 3, 2013
- National Conference of State Legislatures, "Primary types," accessed January 21, 2015
- South Dakota Secretary of State, "Voting by Absentee Ballot," accessed December 16, 2013
- National Conference of State Legislatures, "Absentee and Early Voting," accessed December 16, 2013
- Long Distance Voter, "South Dakota Absentee Ballot Guide," accessed December 16, 2013
- Rock the Vote, "South Dakota Election Information," accessed January 26, 2015
State of South Dakota
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Secretary of Education | Director of Insurance | Secretary of Agriculture | Secretary of Environment and Natural Resources | Secretary of Labor | Chairman of Public Utilities |