Voting in Minnesota
Energy • Environment • Fracking • Public education • School choice • Higher education • Public pensions • State budget • Taxes • Voting • Ballot access • Redistricting
|Election policy on Policypedia|
| State poll times (2015) |
| Voting in the 2015 primary elections |
| Voting in the 2015 general elections |
|Voting information by state|
For full information about voting in Minnesota, contact your state election agency.
To vote in Minnesota, you must:
- be at least 18-years old on Election Day
- be a United States citizen
- have resided in Minnesota for the 20-day period preceding Election Day
- "have any felony conviction record discharged, expired or completed"
- not be "under court-ordered guardianship where a court has revoked your voting rights"
- "have not been ruled legally incompetent by a court of law"
When and where
You must register at least 21 days prior to Election Day or on Election Day at a polling place. You may register to vote by completing a Voter Registration Application and submitting it by mail or in-person to your local election official. To register at your polling place on Election Day, you must bring one of the following forms of identification:
—Minnesota Secretary of State
Other forms of identification can also be used. They are listed here.
As of January 2015, Minnesota is one of the 30 states that have not implemented full online voter registration.
Voting on Election Day
A non-photo ID is required to vote on Election Day.
- See also: State Poll Opening and Closing Times
- See also: Absentee voting
There is no specific deadline for applying for an absentee ballot. The ballot must be returned on or before Election Day for it to be counted.
Military and overseas voting
For full details regarding military and overseas voting, visit the Federal Voting Assistance Program.
- See also: Early voting
To vote early in Minnesota, a valid excuse is required. You may be eligible to vote early if:
—Long Distance Voter
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Minnesota + Voting "
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
Elections in Minnesota
- Minnesota elections, 2016
- Minnesota elections, 2015
- Minnesota elections, 2014
- Minnesota elections, 2013
- Minnesota elections, 2012
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "Eligibility and Instructions," accessed June 10, 2014
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "Register on Election Day," accessed June 10, 2014
- Minnesota Secretary of State, "Frequently Asked Questions - Election Day Voting," accessed January 3, 2014
- Star Tribune, "No excuse needed to vote absentee in Minnesota," June 22, 2014
<ref>tag; no text was provided for refs named
Cite error: Invalid
- Long Distance Voter, "Early Voting Rules: Delaware," accessed December 18, 2013
State of Minnesota
St. Paul (capital)
Minnesota State Constitution | House of Representatives | Senate | County Attorney | House Research Department | Legislative Reference Library | Senate Counsel Research and Fiscal Analysis | Legislative Auditor |
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Commissioner of Management and Budget | State Auditor | Commissioner of Education | Commissioner of Insurance | Commissioner of Agriculture | Commissioner of Natural Resources | Commissioner of Labor and Industry | Chair of Public Utilities |