Do you have a photo that could go here? Submit it for this profile by emailing us!
|Maine Supreme Judicial Court|
|Appointed by:||Gov. John Baldacci|
|Past post:||Attorney in private practice|
|Undergraduate:||Tufts University, 1970|
|Law School:||Washington College of Law at American University, 1973|
Warren M. Silver was a justice on the Maine Supreme Judicial Court. He was appointed to the court by former Governor John Baldacci on July 29, 2005. He retired from the bench on December 31, 2014.
Silver began his legal career working in the General Counsel’s Office of the United States Department of Health, Education and Welfare and in the General Counsel’s Office of the Election Authority of the District of Columbia. He then worked as a private practice lawyer from 1977 until 2005. Silver was then appointed to the Maine Supreme Judicial Court in 2005.
Awards and associations
Silver served on the Board of Governors of the Maine Trial Lawyers Association and previously served as its president. He also previously served as a chairman of the Maine Supreme Judicial Court's Civil Rules Committee and the Governor's Judicial Selection Committee.
In October 2012, political science professors Adam Bonica and Michael Woodruff of Stanford University attempted to determine the partisan ideology of state supreme court justices in their paper, State Supreme Court Ideology and 'New Style' Judicial Campaigns. A score above 0 indicated a more conservative leaning ideology while scores below 0 are more liberal. Silver received a Campaign finance score (CFscore) of -1.07, indicating a liberal ideological leaning. This is more liberal than the average CF score of -1.01 that justices received in Maine. The study is based on data from campaign contributions by judges themselves, the partisan leaning of contributors to the judges or, in the absence of elections, the ideology of the appointing body (governor or legislature). This study is not a definitive label of a justice, but an academic gauge of various factors.
- State of Maine Judicial Branch, "Supreme Court Justice Biographies: Hon. Warren M. Silver"
- Cleaves Law Library, "Warren M. Silver"
- Our Story, "Maine Supreme Court Rules on Vehicle Searches," December 19, 2009
- Maine.gov, "Maine Supreme Court Judges Since 1820," accessed July 29, 2014
- American Judicature Society, "Methods of Judicial Selection: Maine Members of the Highest Court," accessed July 29, 2014
- State of Maine Judicial Branch, "Supreme Court Justice Biographies: Hon. Warren M. Silver," accessed July 29, 2014
- Maine Sun Journal, "Retiring justice calls for dramatic changes to Maine court system," February 16, 2015
- Cleaves Law Library, "Warren M. Silver," accessed July 29, 2014
- Stanford University, "State Supreme Court Ideology and 'New Style' Judicial Campaigns," October 31, 2012