Washington, D.C. Council
|State executive officials|
The council consists of 13 members; all of which can serve a term of four years.
The current officeholders are:
Chairman: Vincent C. Gray
Chair Pro Tempore: Jack Evans
At-Large Members: David Catania, Phil Mendelson, Michael A. Brown, Kwame R. Brown
Ward Members: Jim Graham, Harry Thomas, Jr., Jack Evans, Tommy Wells, Mary M. Cheh, Yvette Alexander, Muriel Bowser, Marion Barry
The council consist of 11 standing committee and the Committee Of the Whole (COW):
- Committee on Aging and Community Affairs
- Committee on Economic Development
- Committee on Finance and Revenue
- Committee on Health
- Committee on Housing and Workforce Development
- Committee on Human Services
- Committee on Libraries, Parks and Recreation
- Committee on the Public Safety and Judiciary
- Committee on Public Services and Consumer Affairs
- Committee on Government Operations and the Environment
- Committee on Public Works and Transporation
Once a bill or proposed law is introduced, it is passed to the council's committee prior to a public hearing. Should the committee support the passage of the bill or proposed law then the bill is reviewed by the entire committee. Two separate meetings are held before the Council, as a whole, votes on the issue. If it passes, the bill becomes law, pending the review by the Mayor and the U.S. Congress.
Council of the District of Columbia
1350 Pennsylvania Avenue, N.W.
Washington, D.C. 20004
- Office of the Washington, D.C. Council
- About the Washington, D.C. Council
- Council Rules
- Council Organization
- History of the Council of Washington, D.C.