Washington Initiative 722 (2000)
Washington Initiative 722 appeared on the ballot in Washington on November 7, 2000. It passed with 1,295,391 voters in favor, and 1,022,349 voters opposed.
The measure was filed on January 28, 2000 by Tim Eyman, Leo Fagan and Ray Benham. 280,511 signatures were submitted and found sufficient to qualify the measure for the ballot. I-200 was an Initiative to the People.
The objectives of I-200 were to:
- Nullify certain 1999 tax and fee increases,
- Exempt vehicles from property taxes,
- Limit property tax increases (except on new construction) to 2% annually.
- Complete text of initiative
- Failure to enact permanent 1% limit could lead to $1.5 billion property tax increase