Washington Regulation of Taxation, Initiative 251 (1970)
The Washington Regulation of Taxation Initiative, also known as Initiative 251, was on the November 3, 1970 ballot in Washington as an Initiative to the People, where it was defeated. The measure would have mandated no new taxes nor any tax increases by the state.
|Washington Initiative 251 (1972)|
Election results via: Washington Secretary of State
Text of measure
The language appeared on the ballot as:
|“||An initiative declaring that existing taxes imposed by the state of Washington shall not be increased and that no new or additional taxes shall be imposed by the state of Washington.||”|
Path to the ballot
Initiative 258 was filed on March 12, 1970 by Vick Gould of the Tax Limit League of Bellevue. 135,668 signatures were submitted to qualify it for the ballot.The measure was placed on the ballot as provided for by the state constitution.
- State of Washington ballot measure election results
- State of Washington 1970 Voters Pamphlet & Local Voters Pamphlet
- List of all State of Washington Initiatives to the People
- Office of the Secretary of State, "1970 Voters Pamphlet," accessed August 26, 2013
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
- Washington Secretary of State, "Initiatives to the People," accessed August 26, 2013
State of Washington
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Commissioner of Public Lands | Director of Labor and Industries | Chairman of Utilities and Transportation |