Washington Vacancies in State Legislature, SJR 14 (1956)
The Washington Vacancies in State Legislature Amendment, also known as Senate Joint Resolution 14, was on the November 6, 1956 ballot in Washington as a legislatively-referred constitutional amendment, where it was approved. The measure provided that vacancies in the state legislature shall be filled by a country commissioner of the political party of the preceding legislator. The measure amended Section 15 of Article I of the Washington Constitution.
|Washington SJR 14 (1956)|
Election results via: Washington Secretary of State
Text of measure
The language appeared on the ballot as:
|“||FILLING VACANCIES IN STATE LEGISLATURE
Shall the 13th Amendment of the Constitution be amended to provide that vacancies in the Legislature shall be filled by the county commissioners from an approved list submitted by the county central committee of the political party of the preceding legislator; and in the event it be a joint district, from lists submitted by the state central committee for joint action by county commissioners involved; providing for failure to appoint within sixty days, the Governor shall fill vacancy from said list?
- Washington 1956 ballot measures
- 1956 ballot measures
- List of Washington ballot measures
- Washington Legislative Vacancies Filled by County Commissioners, HJR 13 (1930)
- State of Washington ballot measure election results
- State of Washington 1956 Voters Pamphlet & Local Voters Pamphlet
- Washington State Constitution
- Office of the Secretary of State, "1956 Voters Pamphlet," accessed September 10, 2013
- Washington State Legislature, "Washington State Constitution," accessed September 10, 2013
- Note: This text is quoted verbatim from the original source. Any inconsistencies are attributed to the original source.
State of Washington
|State executive officers||
Governor | Lieutenant Governor | Attorney General | Secretary of State | Treasurer | State Auditor | Superintendent of Public Instruction | Commissioner of Insurance | Director of Agriculture | Commissioner of Public Lands | Director of Labor and Industries | Chairman of Utilities and Transportation |