Waterloo Community Schools, Iowa
|Waterloo Community Schools|
|Number of schools:||20|
|Website:||School Home Page|
|Board of Education|
|Board president:||Mike Young|
- 1 About the district
- 2 Superintendent
- 3 School board
- 4 Budget
- 5 Teacher salaries
- 6 Schools in Waterloo
- 7 Academic performance
- 8 Issues
- 9 Contact information
- 10 Website evaluation
- 11 See also
- 12 External links
- 13 References
About the district
Waterloo lags behind the rest of Iowa in regard to higher education achievement, median income, and poverty rate. The 2010 U.S. Census found that 18.5% of Waterloo residents over 25 years old held undergraduate degrees compared to a 24.9% rate for the entire state. Waterloo had a median household income of $40,238 in 2010 compared to $50,451 for all of Iowa. The poverty rate for Waterloo was 18.9% in 2010 compared to an 11.9% rate for the rest of the state.
The current Superintendent is Dr. Gary Norris, who has served since as Waterloo Community Schools superintendent since July 1, 2008. Norris previously served as a superintendent in school districts in Kansas, Minnesota, and Florida.
The Waterloo Community Schools Board of Education is made up of seven members who serve four-year terms, four of whom are elected from districts and three of whom are elected at-large.
|Waterloo Board of Education|
School board elections
Members of the Board of Education are elected to four-year terms on a staggered basis. Each election is held on the first Tuesday after the first Monday in September of odd-numbered years. Three seats were up for election on September 10, 2013 and four seats are up for election in 2015.
The table below displays the budget for Waterloo Community Schools. |-
|Expenditures by Category|
|School Year||Staff Expenses||Student Services||Operational Expenses||Debt Service||Other||Budget Total|
|Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget||Total||% of Budget|
The district employs the full time equivalent of 851 teachers and administrators, with 40% of the teaching staff holding advanced degrees. The district's 2012-2013 teacher salary schedule sets $34,408 as the minimum and $69,773 as the maximum annual salary for district teachers. Prior to signing the agreement, the Waterloo Education Association sought an 8% total package increase for all employees, including increased contributions to the Iowa Public Employee Retirement System, increased base salary and annual step increases.
Teachers are represented by the Waterloo Education Association.
Schools in Waterloo
|Year||Enrollment||Year-to-year Change (%)|
Waterloo Community Schools operates 20 schools listed below in alphabetical order:
|Waterloo Community Schools|
|Bunger Middle School|
|Central Middle School|
|Dr. Walter Cunningham School for Excellence|
|East High School|
|Elk Run Early Childhood Center|
|Expo Alternative Learning Center|
|Fred Becker Elementary|
|George Washington Carver Academy|
|Highland Elementary School|
|Hoover Middle School|
|Irving Elementary School|
|Kingsley Elementary School|
|Kittrell Elementary School|
|Lincoln Elementary School|
|Lou Henry Elementary School|
|Lowell Elementary School|
|Orange Elementary School|
|Poyner Elementary School|
|Waterloo Educational & Behavioral Center|
|West High School|
Waterloo Community Schools publishes Annual Progress Reports, with the most recent report detailing the 2010-2011 school year. During the 2012-2013 school year, student test scores generally improved with few exceptions in the district.
On August 12, 2013, the school board voted to hire 74 new teachers for the district, which brings the new teacher total to 98 for the 2013-2014 school year. The district placed a particular emphasis on hiring special education teachers in this group.
Current initiatives underway in the District include the creation of Career Interest Academies in high schools, designed to demonstrate real-world relevance of teaching lessons. A performance-based diploma program is in place in three facilities.
Last rated on December 27, 2011.
|Transparency grading process|
- Budget documents are published.
- Board meeting agendas and minutes are published.
- Names and contact details are published for elected officials.
- Administrative contact details are published.
- Employee contracts are published.
- Financial audits are published.
- Annual progress reports containing academic performance details are published.
- Local tax information is not available.
- Public records request information is not available.
- Background check and other teacher certification information is not available.
- School board elections portal
- Waterloo Community Schools elections (2013)
- Iowa school districts
- List of school districts in Iowa
- Black Hawk County, Iowa ballot measures
- Local ballot measures, Iowa
- Waterloo Community Schools
- Waterloo Education Association
- Waterloo, Iowa
- Black Hawk County, Iowa
- Iowa Department of Education
- Iowa Association of School Boards
- Waterloo Community Schools, "About Us," accessed July 30, 2013
- US Census, "Quick Facts: Waterloo," accessed July 30, 2013
- Iowa Secretary of State, "Election Results," Accessed July 30, 2013
- Waterloo Community Schools, "Superintendent Biography and Vita," accessed July 30, 2013
- Waterloo Community Schools, "Board Members," accessed July 30, 2013
- Waterloo Community Schools, "Proposed Waterloo School Budget Summary - Fiscal Year 2011-2012," accessed September 4, 2013
- Waterloo Community Schools, "Schedule A - Waterloo Teacher's Salary Schedule," accessed September 6, 2013
- Emily Christensen, WCFCourier.com, "Waterloo educators seek pay increase," January 15, 2012
- Waterloo Community Schools, "Table of Contents," accessed September 4, 2013
- Waterloo Community Schools, "Enrollment History for WCSD - 1942-2012," accessed September 4, 2013
- Waterloo Community Schools, "Schools," accessed September 6, 2013
- Waterloo Community Schools, "Annual Progress Report for the District," accessed September 6, 2013
- Andrew Wind, WCFCourier.com, "Waterloo Community Schools test scores up," July 18, 2013
- Andrew Wind, WCFCourier.com, "Nearly 100 new teachers in Waterloo schools this fall," August 13, 2013
- Waterloo Community Schools, "Superintendent's Welcome," accessed July 30, 2013
- Waterloo Community Schools, "Board of Education," accessed September 6, 2013
- Waterloo Community Schools, "Contact Information for WCSD Administration," accessed September 6, 2013
- Waterloo Community Schools, "Contract Agreements," accessed September 6, 2013
- Waterloo Community Schools, "Financial Services," accessed September 6, 2013