Waupun Area Operations Referendum (2009)
The three referenda were proposed after the district failed to pass a referenda in 2008 for $10 million. (See Waupun Exceed Revenue Limits (2008).) Read about the other two in 2009 here: Waupun Area Materials Referendum (2009) and Waupun Area Maintenance Referendum (2009).
The Operations Referendum sought to exceed state-set revenue limits by $4,000,000 over three years and to use those funds to pay for basic operational costs.
The tax rate would increase by 1.1 percent in 2009-10, 1.19 percent in 2010-11 and 1.81 percent in 2011-12 for a total estimated tax impact of $410 over three years on a $100,000 property if all three of the measures pass.
Wording of referendum
"Be it resolved by the School Board of the Waupun Area School District, Dodge and Fond du Lac Counties, Wisconsin, that the revenues included in the School District budget be authorized to exceed the revenue limit specified in Section 121.91, Wisconsin Statutes, for three years (by $800,000 in 2009-2010; $1,200,000 in 2010-2011; and $2,000,000 in 2011-2012) for the non-recurring purposes consisting of ongoing operational expenses."
Bill Bruins, Andy Derksen and Andy Glewen have organized a campaign called Yes x 3 to support the passage of all three of the 2009 Waupun school referenda. The group is working to make sure district voters are all aware of the referenda, saying: "We need all three questions to pass, not just one or two. The largest portion of the referendum is what's going to keep our schools open."
Some Fox Lake residents are opposed to the measures, saying that they have already made their wishes known twice before when the questions were brought to the ballot. "Town of Fox Lake resident Tim Meekma, who challenged the School Board to withdraw the referendum, said the school district has gone to referendum so many times in the past that the effort has lost its credibility with voters."
- Poor turnout is expected Tuesday for the primary, Fond du Lac Reporter, February 16, 2009
- Time to take emotion out of school funding, Fond du Lac Reporter, February 12, 2009
- Waupun voters have much to decide with school referendums, Fond du Lac Reporter, February 8, 2009
- Fox Lake seceding from Waupun District?, Fond du Lac Reporter, January 21, 2009
- Residents Look At Forming Fox Lake School District (dead link), Associated Press, January 20, 2009
- People sound off on potential school closings (dead link), Daily Citizen, January 20, 2009
- Waupun referendum may decide fate of two schools (dead link), Daily Citizen, January 13, 2009
- Waupun plans media blitz on referendum, Fond du Lac Reporter, January 11, 2009
- District should keep Fox Lake school open, Fond du Lac Reporter, January 4, 2009
- Waupun School District faces financial issues, Randy Refsland District Administrator Waupun Area School District, January 1, 2009
- MAILBAG - Waupun referendum (dead link), Daily Citizen, December 29, 2008
- Waupun School Board justifies referendum (dead link), Daily Citizen
- Waupun Area School District website
- Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction Referendum Database
- ASD seeks $4.9 million referendum (dead link), Daily Citizen, January 7, 2009
- Newspaper Article (dead link), from the district on January 25, 2009
- Campaign to pass referendum launched (dead link), Daily Citizen, February 6, 2009
- Fox Lake residents continue push to save Fox Lake, Alto schools, Fond du Lac Reporter, February , 2009