Wayne County, Michigan
Wayne County's total budget was $2.11 billion in the fiscal year ending 2012.
|Health and Welfare||$752,548,279|
The county's retirement system was underfunded by $473 million as of fiscal year 2012.
Unfunded pension liabilities
Wayne County faced more than $600 million in 2012 to cover the deficits in a county pension plan. An audit showed that Wayne County's pension plan had only 60 percent of the cash it would need to cover projected monthly checks for retirees in the next 30 years. This was the lowest percentage for a major public employee pension plan in Michigan in 2012.
As of October 1, 2007, Wayne County had over $800 million in unfunded liabilities for "other post-employment benefits."
|3||Martha G. Scott|
|10||Shannon G. Price|
- See also: Wayne County employee salaries
In the news
In October 2011, Bob Ficano, the County Executive, was served with subpoenas by the FBI for records related to "pay to play" allegations. Constituents felt forced to contribute to designated "charities" that employed friends of his, and his office authorized a $200,000 severance payment to Turkia Awada Mullin, an employee who resigned. After local media reported these issues to the public, Mullin agreed to return the money, and gave the county a check for $135,900, the total after taxes. The FBI also investigated the payment and other city contracts.
During a special meeting on October 31, 2011, the Wayne County Airport Authority announced the termination of Turkia Mullin as CEO of Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport. Many said that Mullin was performing her duties "per usual" for the county and that the board was actually at fault. Mullin planned to sue for the termination, saying that she never violated her contract. Additionally, three aides were suspended for their roles in the Mullin payout.
Shortly after Mullin's termination, Thomas Naughton was selected by the Airport Board as Interim CEO until a permanent replacement could be announced. Naughton's history with the Wayne County Airport Authority extends back to 2002. He served as both Senior Vice President and Chief Financial Officer.
- See also: Evaluation of Michigan county websites
- The current budget is available. Budgets are archived to fiscal year 2005-2006.
- Contact information (including phone numbers and individual e-mail addresses) is available for elected officials.
- E-mail addresses and phone numbers are provided for county departments and administrative officials.
- Meeting schedules, agendas and minutes are available.
- Building and zoning information is available and includes permit application kits and instruction manuals.
- Comprehensive Annual Financial Reports and audit reports are published. CAFRs are archived to fiscal year 2004 and audit reports are archived to fiscal year 2007.
- Executed contracts for the Wayne County Building Authority are available as PDFs. Rules regarding purchasing and contracts are also posted.
- Lobbying information is available.
- Tax information is available, include an online payment option.
- A FOIA request form is available online and the public records coordinator is identified.
- Contracts for most departments do not appear to be available.
- Wayne County website
- Wayne County on the American Local History Network
- Wayne County on Info MI
- Wayne County on City-Data.com
- U.S. Census Bureau, "Quick Facts," accessed December 23, 2013
- Official Wayne County Website, "FY 2011-2012 Adopted Budget," accessed October 20, 2011
- Detroit Free Press, "Wayne County taxpayers on hook for $600M as generous pensions drain fund," June 21, 2012
- Open Secrets, "Wayne County," accessed December 23, 2013
- Official Wayne County Website, "Commissioners," accessed December 23, 2013
- Detroit Free Press, "Turkia Awada Mullin repays $135,900 of her retracted $200,000 severance," October 27, 2011
- Detroit Free Press, "Robert Ficano on FBI subpoenas: 'There is nothing that is going to come up,'" Oct. 19, 2011
- Detroit Free Press, "Jeff Gerritt: Airport board bungled the hiring -- and firing -- of Turkia Mullin," November 1, 2011
- Detroit Free Press, "A statement from ousted Detroit airport CEO Turkia Awada Mullin," November 1, 2011
- Detroit Free Press, "Wayne County Executive Robert Ficano suspends a third aide in widening scandal," October 28, 2011
- WXYZ News, "Metro Airport's board votes to fire CEO Turkia Mullin; taxpayers may end up paying the price," October 31, 2011
- Official Wayne County Website, "Budget Information," accessed December 23, 2013
- Official Wayne County Website, "Wayne County Commission - Contact," accessed December 23, 2013
- Official Wayne County Website, "Wayne County Executive - Contact," accessed December 23, 2013
- Official Wayne County Website, "Transparency in Government," accessed January 27, 2014
- Official Wayne County Website, "Construction Permit Office," accessed December 23, 2013
- Official Wayne County Website, "Purchasing," accessed December 23, 2013
- Official Wayne County Website, "Wayne County Building Authority - Executed Contracts," accessed December 23, 2013
- Official Wayne County Website, "Lobbyist Information," accessed December 23, 2013
- Official Wayne County Website, "FOIA Request," accessed January 27, 2014