|North Carolina Commissioner of Insurance|
|2009 - Present|
|Years in position||4|
|Predecessor||James E. Long (D)|
|Elections and appointments|
|Last election||November 6, 2012|
|First elected||November 4, 2008|
|Next election||November 8, 2016|
|North Carolina Assistant Commissioner of Insurance|
|North Carolina House of Representatives|
|1996 - 2004|
|Richmond County Democratic Party Chair|
|1995 - 1996, 1999 - 2000|
|Bachelor's||University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill (1989)|
|J.D.||University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill (1992)|
|Other||Fellow, North Carolina Institute of Political Leadership (1990)|
|Birthday||February 22, 1967|
|Place of birth||Hamlet, North Carolina|
Goodwin was born in Hamlet, North Carolina into a family active in agriculture, banking and textiles. He is a double graduate of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and practiced law in Richmond County for 13 years. Goodwin's public service career began in the North Carolina House of Representatives where he represented Richmond, Scotland, Montgomery and Stanly Counties for four consecutive terms.
- BA, Political science, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- JD, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Law
Insurance Commissioner (2009–Present)
Assistant Commissioner of Insurance (2005-2008)
State House of Representatives (1996 - 2004)
Goodwin won re-election in 2012. He was unopposed in the May 8 Democratic primary. Mike Causey, James McCall and Richard Morgan sought the Republican nomination. Since no candidate won 40% of the vote, the top two vote-getters, Morgan and Causey, went head to head in a runoff on July 17th, which Causey won. Goodwin defeated Causey in the general election on November 6, 2012.
Of his campaign, Goodwin stated, "What distinguishes me from my opponent? I have a proven, successful record of helping consumers. My opponent- running a 4th time for this office! - has been on insurance company executive for 20+ years and a paid lobbyist for insurance & other special interests. Don't let the fox guard the henhouse!"
|North Carolina Commissioner of Insurance General Election, 2012|
|Democratic||Wayne Goodwin Incumbent||51.9%||2,226,344|
|Election Results via NC State Board of Elections.|
- Charlotte Observer
The official North Carolina State Board of Elections voting guide listed the following endorsements:
- Governor Jim Hunt
- GOP Congressman Barry Goldwater, Jr.
- Durham Comm. on the Affairs of Black People
- NC Advocates for Justice
- People's Alliance
- NC State AFL-CIO
- Paul Miller, Exec. Dir., State Firemen's Assoc.
- Raleigh Professional Firefighters Assoc.
- Sheriffs Moose Butler
- Van Duncan
- James Clemmons
|North Carolina Commissioner of Insurance, 2008|
On November 2, 2004, Cherie Berry won re-election to the office of North Carolina Commissioner of Labor. She defeated Wayne Goodwin (D) in the general election.
|North Carolina Commissioner of Labor, 2004|
|Republican||Cherie Berry Incumbent||52.1%||1,723,004|
|Election Results Via: North Carolina State Board of Elections|
Comprehensive donor information for Goodwin is available dating back to 1996. Based on available campaign finance records, Goodwin raised a total of $1,622,878 during that time period. This information was last updated on May 21, 2013.
Goodwin won re-election to the position of North Carolina Insurance Commissioner in 2012. During that election cycle, Goodwin raised a total of $582,918.
|North Carolina Insurance Commissioner 2012 election - Campaign Contributions|
|Top contributors to Wayne Goodwin's campaign in 2012|
|North Carolina Association of Health Underwriters PAC||$8,000|
|Health Network Solutions-HNS Chiropractic||$8,000|
|Timothy O. North||$7,750|
|North Carolina Advocates for Justice PAC||$7,000|
|Total Raised in 2012||$582,918|
|Total Votes received in 2012||2,226,344|
|Cost of each vote received||$0.26|
|Source:Follow the Money|
Ballotpedia collects information on campaign donors for each year in which a candidate or incumbent is running for election. The following table offers a breakdown of Wayne Goodwin's donors each year. Click [show] for more information.
|Wayne Goodwin's Campaign Contributions|
North Carolina Commissioner of Insurance
|Total Raised by General Election Opponent||$434,009 (Republican)|
|Top 5 contributors||Public Fund||$385,681|
|North Carolina Democratic Party||$15,130|
|North Carolina Farm Bureau||$1,000|
|Jim Long Election Committee|
and 5 individual donors
This section displays the most recent stories in a Google news search for the term "Wayne + Goodwin + North + Carolina + Insurance"
- All stories may not be relevant to this page due to the nature of the search engine.
- NC to speed resurrection of canceled health plans - WRAL.com
- Blue Cross to reinstate canceled insurance policies as price increases spur outcry - News & Observer
- Goodwin also opposes Catawba casino - News & Observer
- Wayne Goodwin meets with Obama, says roll out 'fumbled' - News & Observer
- North Carolina Arrests Made in 3 Alleged Auto Insurance Scams - Insurance Journal
- North Carolina Department of Insurance Approves Rates for Blue Cross Blue ... - High Country Press
- Goodwin Calls on Insurers Not to Cancel Health Insurance Plans - Island Gazette
- Insurance Commissioner Goodwin Discusses Obama's Extension Of Canceled ... - WFAE
- Blue Cross rates for reinstated health plans in NC approved - Charlotte Observer
- Medicare clients urged to compare prescription plans - Mount Airy News
<ref> tags exist, but no
<references/> tag was found
- Official campaign website
- North Carolina Department of Insurance - Commissioner Goodwin
- Project Vote Smart biography
- Campaign contributions: 2012, 2010, 2008, 2004, 2002, 2000, 1998, 1996
- Indy Week, "Goodwin's answers to 2012 questionnaire," October 2012
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 North Carolina Department of Insurance, "Commissioner Wayne Goodwin," accessed December 19, 2011
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 Wayne Goodwin, "Meet the Commissioner," accessed October 27, 2012
- ↑ The Daily Reflector, "GOP field for NC insurance commissioner cut to 2," May 9, 2012
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 North Carolina State Board of Elections, "2012 General Election Voter Guide," accessed September 25, 2012
- ↑ Charlotte Observer, "Our Council of State endorsements, part 1," October 17, 2012
- ↑ North Carolina State Board of Elections, "November 2008 General Election Results," accessed March 25, 2011
- ↑ Follow the Money, " Career fundraising for Wayne Goodwin," accessed May 21, 2013
- ↑ Follow the Money.org
James E. Long (D)
|North Carolina Commissioner of Insurance
| Succeeded by|